One Acre, founded in 2006, fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agricultural Impact and Behavior Change Lead
Location: Rubengera, Rwanda
Duration: Full-time job.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
To do this, the Agricultural Impact and Behavior Change Lead will report to the Program Design Lead to:
- Collaborate with the Innovations Department to develop agricultural training, test them in the field, and ensure that they are easy to implement, understandable by the end-user, and change farmer behavior
- Review historical drivers of impact and design cost-effective interventions that have the potential to increase $ impact per farmer
- Conduct qualitative research to better understand farmer behavior, and translate insights into strategies to increase the likelihood farmers adopt good agricultural practices (GAP)
- Coordinate with the Design Team to create materials used by clients and the field team, including planting, pest, & disease guides
- Oversee the implementation of impact activities in the field by following up on progress, course-correcting when needed, and creating recommendations for future seasons
Agricultural Training and Farmer Outreach/Engagement:
- You will create the annual training and GAP outreach calendar by identifying essential agricultural practices to target throughout the year. You will design training that are user-friendly and farmer-focused and conduct training for trainers with the field team. After training, you will evaluate farmer and trainer performance to understand how they retain information and whether training lead to behavior change.
Impact Strategy Design:
- You will create impact through other channels such as field team follow-up activities that target SMS campaigns in collaboration with the local government on essential messaging. To do this, you will review the drivers of GAPs, consult team members from multiple departments, and develop trials to test behavior change strategies in the field. In this process, you will oversee trial design, follow-up, and evaluations to measure success and make strategic recommendations for future activities.
- You will oversee the procurement and distribution of impact materials to and from the field. This will involve designing timelines for procuring and delivering materials to the field such as field management training materials, planting guides, planting tools, crop management training materials used by the field team and clients. You will track the movement of these materials and take regular inventory of them at One Acre Fund offices across Rwanda.
Impact Strategy Communication:
- As a spokesperson for impact on the Field Operations Team, you will brainstorm and collect feedback on impact strategies with members of the team and will inform other One Acre Fund departments on the impact strategies going out into the field. To do this, you must communicate complex ideas through PowerPoint presentations, e-mails, pre-read documents, and team discussions in a clear way to all audiences.
We are looking for professionals with 2+ years of work experience, and a long–term passion for agricultural development and knowledge sharing. This posting is for a career-track role with a minimum initial commitment of two years. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- University Degree in the Agricultural Sciences or Agricultural Development
- Experience designing and facilitating training
- Critical thinker, with the ability to establish a clear theory of change
- Experience in extension, with the ability to take complex ideas and translate them into user-friendly concepts
- Skillful in project design, including calendaring and the development of research in a rural setting
- You provide excellent customer service across all stakeholders by writing and speaking in clear, easy-to-understand English as well (Kinyarwanda is a plus)
- You have experience and enjoy working with team members to achieve a common goal
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Language – English, and Kinyarwanda
Career Growth and Development:
- We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Commensurate with experience:
- Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates:
- Yes; East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ([email protected]), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
- We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.