Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Limited (SCANL) is a leading management consulting firm focused on the agricultural and nutrition sectors in Africa. We partner with government agencies, private sector companies and leading international development organizations to conduct research, analyze policies, develop strategies and implement programs that promote sustainable food security and improved nutrition. We have worked on a variety of projects across West Africa, including in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal.
We are recruiting to fill the position below for an anticipated program focused on developing the local Nigerian dairy sector:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Chief of Party (CoP)
Travel: Travel across project States in Nigeria
About the Program
- Sahel, in collaboration with other partners, seeks to catalyze the local dairy sector in Nigeria in an inclusive way through a program that will improve the livelihoods, productivity, nutrition, and empowerment of smallholder female dairy farmers and the communities in which they live. The program will span 5 years and will:
- Advocate for an enabling environment for local sourcing through engagements with the government and relevant private sector stakeholders.
- Increase demand for locally sourced milk through partnerships with dairy processors currently or interested in sourcing locally.
- Improve smallholder dairy farmers’ productivity by increasing their access to technical support services and appropriate inputs.
- Empower women dairy farmers and enable them to improve their livelihoods and that of their households.
- Improve nutrition outcomes among smallholder dairy households through innovations in food systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Operations Manager’s primary responsibilities are outlined below. S/he is however expected to perform any tasks that are necessary within the context of the evolving needs of the program:
- Program Operations and Compliance: Oversee program operations and implement sound internal control practices in all project offices.
- Ensure the program has effective operational procedures and processes in place for office management, local procurement, assets/fleet management and logistics, consultant and subcontractor administration, etc. in alignment with global best practices, Nigerian laws and regulations, Sahel’s policies and standard operating procedures, and donor requirements.
- Manage relationship with sub-grantees and sub-contractors and ensure they comply with program guidelines.
- Human Resources: Establish policies that promote Sahel’s culture and vision as well as encourage maximum performance and dedication among program team members. Lead the development and deployment of human resources strategies, including recruitment, on-boarding, performance appraisal and off-boarding processes. Serve as a point of contact for program personnel-related inquiries.
- Administrative and Infrastructure: Coordinate program offices’ operational processes and logistics. Oversee knowledge management and IT systems and processes in compliance with Sahel’s policies and standards. Manage all subcontractors and leasing contracts
Minimum Required Skills & Experience
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, or related field
- Minimum of four (4) years of senior-level experience as Operations Manager in leading organizations or in large complex projects/programs with demonstrated results, skills and a track record of delivering beyond expectations
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, and task facilitation
- Ability to manage multiple priorities/tasks effectively
- Experience leading operations, procurement, HR and admin in a complex, international organization and/or in large multifaceted programs
- A familiarity with and commitment to addressing gender equality is also required
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating teams to deliver in a complex environment
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills:
- Superior interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Strong negotiation and diplomatic skills to support effective work through implementing partners
- Fluency in the English language, and excellent writing and presentation skills
Personal Characteristics and Other Requirements:
- Excellent judgement. Ability to understand current issues quickly and make wise decisions
- Possess outstanding professional reputation
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively and delegate
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Willingness to travel across program states within Nigeria, with a focus on Northern Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
Open Till Filled.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of a Cover letter and Resume to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications.