Spearfish Security West Africa is the Nigerian registered arm of Spearfish Security Limited, based in Winchester, UK. Spearfish West Africa works closely with the development sector, managing risk and addressing the wide range of security issues frequently experienced in Nigeria. We provide direct support in the current areas of high risk and specialise in anticipating potential future developments and hot spots. We provide direct management and guidance on accommodation, trip management and contingency plans to help protect international and national staff along with project assets.
- Spearfish seeks to recruit an experienced security liaison officer to support an ongoing Palladium Nigeria project in NE Nigeria.
- The security officer will provide focused support to the Engaged Ctitizens Pillar (ECP) strand of the Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL) project and will also be expected to support other Borno projects upon mobilisation.
- The post advertised is for the role based in Maiduguri, Borno State
Terms of Reference:
- Location: Nigeria (100%)
- Supervisor: Deputy Security Manager
- Purpose: Provide support to Spearfish Client (Palladium) in Nigeria
- Duration: Six (6) months renewable
- Starting Date: 1st March 2020
Overview of Approach by the Security Risk Management Team (SRMT) for The Palladium Group:
- To ensure a comprehensive and tailored risk management system for the Palladium portfolio in Nigeria, the SRMT would
Be consultative, flexible & inclusive in decision-making:
- The SRMT recognizes the importance of working closely with the widely different Palladium programmes in Nigeria. Therefore, the security profile that will support the implementation of project deliverables will not only keep Palladium staff, project partners and beneficiaries safe and secure, but will also be based on inputs from all involved to ensure a collaborative, flexible & inclusive approach.
Conduct pre-emptive risk management and mitigation:
- The goal of the security team is to never have to escalate to an interventionist approach. The team will continuously monitor (actively & passively) the program areas & regions of intervention.
- Constant & consistent risk rating evaluations with the corresponding safety & security elements of over-watch will limit risk and exposure as much as possible while endevouring to ensure project delivery & implementation at all sites and on all levels.
Role and SRMT Integration
- The State Security Officer will be based in Maiduguri and be key in the day-to-day operational management of ECP and other Palladium project activities occurring in Borno State. He/She will be responsible for working with the project management to design future field trips and to ensure that they are coordinated with the activities of partner orgnaisations.
- When field trips are launched, the Security Officer will be responsible for monitoring progress and for instigating any mitigations necessary to meet operational obstacles that occur.
- The Borno State Security Officer post is a critical addition to SRMT capacity and will provide the detailed and dedicated security focus necessary to support field work in the State. He/She will report on a regular basis to the SRMT in Abuja and liaise with other State Security Managers and respective project’s management to coordinate project activities.
Description of the Activities
- The role is considered a “fixed” appointment meaning that the Security Manager would provide safety and security support while being primarily based in Maiduguri.
- However, significant travel, both within the State and the wider region should be expected.
- Provide safety and risk management advice and guidance pertaining to the State.
- Collaborate with programmes to ensure oversight of security related issues on current and planned operations and movements in the State and the wider region.
Safety and Security Assessments:
- Conduct safety and security assessments as required/requested.
- Provide Safety and Security briefings to Palladium staff.
- Coordinate & collaborate with Security elements in Nigeria and specifically in the State.
- Produce risk and threat assessments for the State.
- Produce Building and Accommodation assessments.
- Produce situation reports, alerts and trend analysis pertaining to the State.
- Collaborate with the Security Liaison Officers of other Palladium projects working in the State.
- Build and maintain an updated list of intelligence & information contacts & details.
- Assist in production of any client requested safety and risk management documentation.
- Oversee quality assurance & compliance of Occupational Health & Safety aspects as outlined in client contract.
- Collaborate with Security Coordinator to deliver Programme Safety and Security Focal Point capacity building.
- Any other reasonable tasks as determined by the Senior Security Manager.
- Indigene of Borno State.
- Hausa and Kanuri speaker.
- Educated with a high standard of writing and numerical skills.
- Able to present matters concisely and coherently in both spoken and written English
- Experience in security and context analysis in Northern Nigeria.
- Knowledge of the context and the recent history of the region.
- Demonstrable team/personnel management experience/skills.
- Demonstrable IT knowledge and skills compulsory (Microsoft Office 365 suite, word processing, etc.)
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team (with both expat and national staff)
- Adaptability, flexibility and diplomacy.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skillset.
- Politically and culturally aware and sensitive.
- Effective relationship builder
- Patience and strong character.
- Able to cope with stress and work in an unstable context.
- Willing to be based in Maiduguri.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Certified Security qualifications.
- Previous military or police experience.
- Has undertaken recent security work in the North.
- Previous security experience with INGOs in Northern Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their written Application, along with full CV and references by email to: [email protected] Please put the post applied for and your name IN CAPITALS in the email subject bar.
- Please do not apply if you are unable to meet the first two essential attributes.
- Shortlisted candidates can expect to be invited for interview during the week beginning 03 February 2020.
- Due to the expected high number of applications, it will not be possible to respond to all applicants. So if you have not heard from us by Friday 07 February, please accept that you have been sifted out during the selection process.