ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Resource Mobilisation & Innovations
Reporting to: Country Director
Line Management: Resource Mobilisation Coordinator, Fundraising Coordinator, Business Development Advisor, Supporter Services Advisor & Sponsorship Communications Advisor
Overall Job Purpose
- The Director will set and lead the organisations fundraising strategy, creating new businesses with public and private sector donors including bilateral, multi-lateral agencies and foundations in line with ActionAid Nigeria country strategy, programmatic vision, goals and mission.
- The post holder will be a member of the Senior Management & Country Management team and will oversee the operations of the resource mobilisation unit by raising funds through child sponsorship, community sponsorship, institutional donors and other platforms applicable to ActionAid Nigeria as well as coordinate positive relationship with these donors/development partners by leading the process of ActionAid seeking and responding to new and existing fundraising opportunities
- S/he will also be responsible for supervising and developing the Resource Mobilization team.
- Coordinate the process of developing and updating ActionAid Nigeria Donor mapping and coordinating the process of mapping institutional funding opportunities with other units
- Work with the Country Director to lead the process of negotiation with donors, peers and consortium members on fundraising opportunities.
- Lead the process of developing fundraising strategy, and implementation
- Link and interact with ActionAid Federation on issues around resource mobilisation and donor management
- Coordinate the development of concept notes and proposals on existing opportunities
- Coordinate the process of interacting with existing donors and maintaining a cordial relationship with them
- Identify and organise opportunities and fora for learning and innovation around programing and fundraising
- Maintain relationship with peer organisation and lead private sector development organisation for joint proposal development and implementation
- Create a partnership plan for identifying, cultivating and managing relationships and negotiations with donors and external partners for development of multi-year programmatic initiatives.
- Direct intelligence gathering, competitive analysis and decision-making, capture, partnering and proposal development for funding opportunities.
- Ensure quality assurance of new and renewed proposals submitted to donors, including full compliance to donor requirements and criteria.
- Ensure compliance with multi donor guidelines and implementation timeline
Administration and Management:
- Lead the development, and maintenance of internal systems to support effective resource mobilization
- Develop and implement three years planning document and strategy for the Resource Mobilisation Unit
- Develop and implement a plan for building capacity of country staff to identify, capture, develop business opportunities, and regularly report on business progress.
- Supervise, deploy and develop a team of skilled and effective professionals who successfully support and implement resource mobilization functions.
- Create an environment of accountability, motivation, professional growth and high productivity.
- Foster effective working relationships, engagement and responsiveness of operational support functions essential for successful resource mobilization including communications and marketing, recruitment, budgeting, and other internal operations functions.
Fundraising / Child Focused Programming:
- Develop Individual Giving/Corporate Social Responsibility approaches for ActionAid Nigeria.
- Facilitates development of quality High Value project proposals and subsequent program reporting, in a timely fashion
- Provide support and technical advice to the relevant programme, finance and partner staff in project planning, design, budgeting, implementation and reporting for projects.
- Provide field support and technical advice on funding activities within the framework of Child sponsorship policies
- Facilitate Child sponsorship training for ActionAid staff, partners and Community Resource Persons (CRPs)
- Facilitate capacity building workshops for stakeholders on Child’s Right Collate and report ActionAid Nigeria’s activities on Child Focused programming to sponsors and International colleagues
- Coordinate ActionAid Nigeria’s NK (or alternate) database management.
Reporting & Accountability:
Lead in the development of unit work plans
- Ensure the maintenance of project implementation and report tracking system Ensure production of reports to sponsors
- Ensure the provision of periodic reports and special reports on activities carried out (such as appraisals, child message collection exercises reports) by Child Sponsorship Unit
- Lead in the development of strategic documents such as country and programme strategy papers, which chart out the way forward for child sponsorship related work in ActionAid Nigeria.
- Donors, Networks, Partner Organizations & other relevant stakeholders.
Education / Qualifications:
- First Degree in Social Sciences or Arts / Humanities
- Master's Degree in a related field
- Membership of relevant professional Institute
- A minimum of 10 years work experience
- At least 5 years experience at Senior Management position of which must be in the development sector in a similar role
- Wide experience working in a fundraising environment and raising resources from institutional and other donors
- Experience developing and delivering fundraising strategies
- Experience writing successful funding proposals
- Experience managing a business development team.
- Strong writing skills
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills.
- Ability to influence and encourage others to new concepts and ways of working within an environment of change
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Demonstrable IT skills
- Proven fundraising skills with the ability to achieve financial targets
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent staff management and interpersonal skills
- Highly numerate
- Excellent Skills in policy analysis and interpretation.
- Effectively promote AAN’s mission, values and objectives
- A person of integrity
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times
- Self-motivated person able to work without supervision
- Proven leadership qualities
- Commitment to delivering high quality service
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organisation
- Able to maintain strong working relationships with key donors.
Application Closing Date
5th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download, complete the Application Form below and send it together with their Applications in an MS Word attachment to: [email protected] using the Job Title and location e.g Director, Resource Mobilisation & Innovations - Abuja as the subject of the mail.
Click here to download the Application Form (MS Word)
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Scanned application forms will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.