ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Local Rights Programme Assessment
Contract: Short Term
- As part of ActionAid Nigeria’s plan to expand its areas of intervention across Nigeria with the aim of increasing her engagement with the poor and marginalized, ActionAid intends to continue its approach of Local Right Programme (LRP) through its funding Mechanisms tagged “Child Sponsorship” in Jigawa State.
- The core strategy for the LRPs is in accordance with the AA global strategy as spelt out in the AAN CSP –working in partnerships to eradicate poverty. This partnership involves the local NGO, Women, men, girls and boys in poor and marginalized communities, the local and traditional leadership, Local Government officials and central government agencies, the private sector and any development actor already working in, or willing to work in the LRP, in a connected effort to ensure that those who are poor and marginalized secure sustained improvement in the quality of their lives, through promoting access to basic rights and services.
- The critical input in this strategy involves capacity building and nurturing local structures and the people themselves to continuously analyse their situation, identify workable actions and have the skills to take the needed actions which may often include engaging duty bearers, to ensure equity in the allocation of resources.
- The strategy also involves the use of same analytical tools and frameworks for the analysis of social and power relations in the communities and taking appropriate actions to make corrections in favour of the excluded and marginalized.
- It is in this light that ActionAid seeks to engage a Consultant to conduct an Assessment/Appraisal in Jigawa State.
The following are expectations from the consultant:
- Take a lead on contextual analyses and identification of programme areas for the LRP in line with the context and AAN CSP
- Conduct assessment of potential partners for the implementation of the LRP programme using PAM framework
- Facilitate the selection of potential communities for LRP intervention.
- Carry out appraisal of potential communities of intervention using HRBA principles
- Produce detailed report of the appraisal and share with ActionAid within agreed date and template
Qualifications and Criteria for Selection
The consultant(s) must have:
- Background knowledge of the state and the ability to speak Hausa and/or other local dialects in Jigawa state is mandatory.
- Hands-on experience in conducting partnership assessment using PAM framework
- Evidence of experience on use of HRBA in programming
- Experience in work done in poor rural communities of Nigeria
- Demonstrable experience of producing high-quality, credible research/assessments (sample report of such is required).
- Understanding and experience of working with state and non-state actors (at all levels) and international organizations
- Knowledge of research and monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative
- Knowledge of local governance and conflict issues (desirable)
- Excellent computer skills
- The individual’s or his/her organisation’s work respond to the needs and interests of poor and marginalised women, men, aged, people living with disabilities and other forms of diversity
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with development partners;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments in the past
- Availability within one week of offer of contract
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- Unless otherwise agreed, the consultant shall work in the state where the assessment will take place. ActionAid will cover the cost of transportation, accommodation and perdiem according to ActionAid rate during fieldwork.
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task. Interested consultants are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency.
- S/he will be expected to provide his/her own work equipment and space except where otherwise stated.
Ownership of outputs:
- Outputs of the work done as stipulated in the call for expression of interest belongs to ActionAid.
Mode of Payment:
- Please note that an advance of 50% will be paid after successfully signing the contract by AAN and the successful consultant, while the remaining balance will be paid upon satisfaction of the agreed deliverables in the contract.
- ActionAid shall however deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) for individuals and 10% for limited (LTD) and public companies (PLC); and remit to relevant authority. The successful applicant would be required to provide AAN his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN) for the purposes of remittance.
Application Closing Date
18th February, 2020
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications electronically to: [email protected] using the subject line "Assessment for Local Rights Programme in Jigawa State"
Note: Only successful applicants will be contacted.