Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Engineer / Supervisor
Job Ref Code: CTS14220
Locations: Damaturu-Yobe, Maiduguri-Borno and Yola-Adamawa
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party
- The Construction Engineers / Supervisors will be responsible for the management of construction performance during the execution phase.
- The construction may range in size from small repairs to mega/new works to provide water infrastructure for agricultural production.
- The selected candidates are expected to have prior construction oversight, quality assurance, reporting experience, contract administration of similar activity. Additional experience in the use of water for agriculture will be a plus. Multiple candidates will be hired and assigned to Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Ensure construction firm maintain compliance with the Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP) so that work is accomplished in an environmentally sound manner using safe work practices.
- Understand the technical drawings, Bill of Quantities (BoQs), technical specifications and ensure the work meets project contractual expectations, deliverables, quality standards, schedule, costs and scope.
- Monitor performance and schedule of the project and recommend corrective measure if necessary.
- Prepare daily reports on progress of work completed and other reports as may be directed by DCoP.
- Verify work completed and prepare payments reports at various stages of the construction.
- Provide support through technical guidance as well as supervision to the field teams/construction firm to promote quality in project deliverables.
- Represent the organization, collaborate and liaise with key state, local government officials and community members as will be required by the activity.
- Collaborate with other engineering/construction team members within the state of implementation and other locations as may be directed by the DCoP or CoP.
- Support in the formation/re-formation, training and monitoring of Water UsersТ Association (WUAs) and Water Management Committees (WMCs) in the affected LGAs and communities for the sustainability of water infrastructure.
- Maintain knowledge of all contract terms and legal requirements for construction projects to avoid any delay in projects and provide support to all work groups and participate in various actively to ensure completion for all projects.
- Provide technical and managerial supports as may be required to enhance the successful implementation of the activity.
Qualifications and Skills
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline - Geosciences/Civil/Structural/ Environmental engineering or related fields.
- At least 5 years of practical experience in designing and construction of water infrastructure for Agricultural production.
- Experience in any of the following sectors: environment, engineering, urban and climate resilience.
- Demonstrate ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donor and other donors; and stakeholders - local organizations, implementing partners and communities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Hausa will be an added advantage.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications and design software. Use of GIS application will be an added advantage.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong ability to relate to people at all levels, within and outside of the organization.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams and coaching skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Fluency in English including excellent oral and written skills highly required. Proficiency in Hausa will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "CRS Application Form" using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating "Position" being applied for and the "Job Ref Code" as the subject of the application to: [email protected]
Click here to Download Application Form (Drop-box)
Click Here for Job Details (Drop-box)
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- CRS is an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- СТCRSТ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.