Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Military Advisor
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full Time
Travel: Up to 35% required
Reporting to: Country Director, Nigeria
About The Position
- The Senior Military Advisor will be a highly valued member of the CIVIC’s Nigeria Team and Field Leadership Team
- The postholder will be responsible for the design and delivery of high-quality training to the Nigerian Armed Forces, engaging and managing relationships with the Nigerian Armed Forces.
- Implement security force training in support of CIVIC’s programs
- Working with the Country Director, Sr. Advisor Training, and the rest of the in-country team, Senior Military Advisor (US-based), Senior Protection Advisor (US-Based), and the Africa Program Director, the SMA will provide military-specific strategic guidance and management of CIVIC’s Nigeria program portfolio throughout program implementation.
- Support CIVIC’s projects to strengthen civilian protection policy, practice, and training of the Nigerian government and military.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with senior government, military, and civil society leaders.
- Lead the design and delivery, in close coordination with Sr. Advisor Training, Senior Military Advisor (US-based) and Senior Protection Advisor (US-based) on protection of civilians and civilian harm mitigation training for Nigerian Armed Forces at the strategic, operational and tactical levels, including national-level training schools and professional military education institutions.
- Assist the Nigerian Armed forces with development of context specific training sessions and SOPs in line with protection of civilians.
- Advise the Nigerian Armed Forces on the implementation and practices and process to improve civilian harm mitigation.
- Promote the representation, training, and advocacy on civilian protection and harm mitigation.
- Assess training efforts to identify best practices and provide recommendations to diverse stakeholders in order to improve civilian protections.
- Lead the development and implementation of the training program strategy by consulting with staff, partners, and other interested parties.
- Conduct monitoring and reporting of activities in support of project reporting requirements.
- Contribute to, or write op-eds, blogs, and articles highlighting issues important to CIVIC when possible. With the permission of the Country Director, speak with media about our work in the region.
- Research and draft publications (such as reports and briefing papers) and advocacy materials discussing CIVIC’s work.
- Work with the Country Director and broader team to develop medium-term strategy, advance program objectives, deliver ambitious work-plan, and identify new opportunities.
- Work with the Country Director to identify possible funding opportunities for program work and perform other duties as required to further the CIVIC’s mission and goals
- Build Strategic relationships and partnerships with key foreign missions’ Military Attaches such as EU, US, UK, Germany, Russia, and France.
- Engage, and as appropriate coordinate with military advisors such as ECOWAS, BMATT, the EU among others on current security issues within the sub regions.
- Work with the monitoring, evaluation and learning team to track on the effectiveness of trainings delivered from time to time.
- Dependent on experience, support the design and deployment of support to the East Africa and Sahel programs based in Nairobi and Mali respectively.
Qualifications & Skills Sets of Candidate
Applicants must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Past Military Experience at Strategic Level of the Nigerian Armed Forces (equivalent of a Brig. General or at least Lt. Col in the Army or in other services).
- Graduate of Senior Professional Military Education (Nigerian or Foreign Equivalent of National Defence College or Service War College, such as Army War College Nigeria).
- Current operational experience in internal security operations (ISO) inside Nigeria (defined as serving in ISO within the last 4 years, experience in the Northeast preferred); experience serving in a peacekeeping operation preferred.
- Experience training Nigerian Armed Forces or other armed forces required; experience training on protection of civilians or International Humanitarian Law or serving as Directing Staff at a military institution is strongly desirable, Flexibility, cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to write high-quality narrative and qualitative reports.
- Demonstrated experience networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Strong personal network in the Nigerian Armed Forces,
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multicultural teams.
- High level of integrity in dealing with co-workers and with programs.
- Service as Brigade Commander/Chief of Staff or on Theater/Division level staff in ISO, (preferably in operations or intelligence) is strongly desirable.
- Familiarity with Operational Design is desirable.
- Prior experience working at a non-profit desirable.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Interviews will be held on rolling basis until the position is filled.