Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Communication Officer
Reference Number: ABV/PRO/2020/0021
Location: Abuja, Nigeria (With an estimated 40% travel to other program locations)
Position Status: Full-time, Field-based, and Regular.
Program / Department Summary
- This is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Community Initiative to Promote Peace (CIPP). The CIPP program aims to strengthen conflict prevention, mediation and early warning by facilitating community-led analysis and action to prevent, manage, and mitigate conflict and violent extremism.
- The program will work in twenty-four (24) high-risk local government areas in Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
General Position Summary
- The Project Communications Officer will be responsible for raising awareness about CIPP-related activities among the government and the Nigerian public at large.
- S/he will be responsible for engaging counterpart organizations and also work with the affiliated Ministries and LGAs to implement CIPP project activities and record their outcomes and learnings.
- An important role of the Project Communications Officer is to produce press releases, and maintain a vibrant approach to developing communication outputs. The Project Communications Officer will report to the Program Manager.
- The position is based in Abuja and it requires up to (40 %) travel to Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Develop and implement the project Communications strategy and activities related to project outreach;
- As directed by the program leadership, provide quality control on all reports, publicity materials, and other documents generated from the program with particular emphasis on those for submission to USAID;
- Collect content for weekly, monthly and quarterly status reports;
- Lead on technical writing/editing activities on behalf of the project;
- Draft weekly status reports for submission to USAID and other stakeholders;
- Develop the Project Quarterly Newsletters for dissemination among stakeholders
- Attend meetings with project partners on an ad hoc basis regarding communications, outreach, PR, and media-related issues, program deliverables and reports, and USAID branding and marking guidelines;
- Assist with planning, logistics and attend project events as requested by the program manager, provide technical editing and formatting assistance with program deliverables and reports;
- Utilize creative approaches to content development using graphic design to develop infographics and enhance reports
- Work closely with the program team on tracking reports and deliverables as related to the monitoring and evaluation and program management plan;
- Assist technical staff with public outreach/awareness campaigns;
- Work with partner organizations to assist them in developing and implementing communications strategies;
- Together with the M&E Team, the Senior Program Officers on Policy & Advocacy and Gender develop strategic and targeted content and work with project partner organizations to assist them in engaging in public advocacy/public relations campaigns to raise public awareness;
- Develop daily content tracking mechanism for monitoring of state and federal level newspaper articles and other periodicals, including broadcast media for material substantively affecting the work of CIPP;
- Show a willingness to perform other duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
- Reports Directly To: TBD
- Works Directly With: DCOP, Program Manager, Senior Program Officers, M&E Team, Program Officers, Finance and Operations and Security and safety teams.а
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience in roles with increasing levels of responsibility required; Five+ years preferred;а
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, Publishing or similar area required; Master's Degree preferred;
- Strong communication skills;
- Creative & Innovative mind with a strong emphasis on visual graphic and content design skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe applications and good photography skills;
- Working knowledge of USAID policies, rules and regulations preferred;
- Project management experience a plus;
- Team player, with excellent organizational, high emotional intelligence and people skills, time management, and communication skills in English, both written and oral.а
- The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding and working effectively within the complex cultural, political, security and social environment of Nigeria.
- He/She will be an excellent communicator, a creative writer, multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations.
- He/She will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Abuja and it requires up to 40% travel to field offices.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position