ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant on the Development of Life Skill Curriculum and Technical Skills Training Plan - Migration II
Contract: Short - term
- ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is an affiliate of ActionAid International, a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, ActionAid works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America.
- At AAN we work within poor and excluded communities to promote respect for the human rights of all. Our work extends beyond the people in these communities to relevant authorities with a view to empowering the people to take necessary action to end poverty.
- Since 1999, AAN has focused on social justice, gender equality and poverty eradication using the Human Rights Based Approach. AAN functions on the premise that protecting and fulfilling the human rights of people living in poverty will contribute to the eradication of poverty and injustice in Nigeria
Project Overview and Objectives:
- AAN is launching the second phase of its Migration Programme tagged “Dare To Hope - Creation of Socio-Economic Alternatives in Edo State, Nigeria” The project’s overall objective is to stimulate sustainable economic empowerment of vulnerable youth to (18-35) in Nigeria to enjoy full socio-economic rights.
- In the long-term, young people’s socio-economic outlook can transform building their resilience and making them self-reliant. The specific objective of this project will be to promote young people (18-35) in Benin, Auchi and Uromi districts in Edo State, increased access to socio-economic alternatives to migration and empowered to make informed migrations decisions.
- Target beneficiaries will have access to accelerated market-based training and self-development programs that will prepare them to improve their standard of living.
The achievement of the project objective depends on the realisation of the three Expected Results:
- ER1: 2000 youth (18-35), of which 500 returnees and at least 1.100 women and girls, living in target locations are better equipped to improve their livelihoods
- ER2: 5.400 youth and 850 key members of their communities are more aware of the risks linked with and alternatives to migration, and of the actual conditions in country of arrival
- ER3: 7 relevant government agencies in Edo State improve their capacity to coordinate and respond to migration issues, through the acquisition of the necessary competences and by strengthening community-level engagement
- ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is working with Ideal Development and Resource Centre (IDRC) in Benin City and Esan North-East LGA and Kairos Youth Empowerment Initiative in Etsako West LGA as formal sub-recipients towards achieving set project objectives.
Purpose of this Call:
- Actionaid Nigeria is seeking to identify and pre-select potential consultants capable of developing a Life Skills Curriculum and Training Plan for Technical Skill Trainers. The curriculum shall be designed as Training of Trainers to be used by Master Trainers.
- Hence, it must be enriched with training mechanisms and techniques, to allow future trainers to fruitfully manage the courses, and to ensure a good transfer of knowledge while also boosting vulnerable youth self-confidence by helping them to know and understand themselves in order to make good life decisions.
The curriculum activities shall cover at least the following topics:
- Teaching Methodologies
- Conflict resolution
- Decision making
- Enhancing self-confidence
- Empowering positive communication
- Defining individual strengths and goals
- Basic Financial and Management skills (accounting, administration etc)
- The curriculum shall be designed to cover 15 days of training sessions and shall be applicable to host 25 participants per class.
- The Consultant shall in consultation with Key Trainers develop a 45-day intensive training plan for 10 sectors to guide the activities of Trainers and Trainees and ensure desired results are achieved within the time frame. The sectors shall include but not limited to Hair Dressing, Catering, Fashion Designing, Livestock Farming, Iron Fabrication and so on.
Qualifications and Criteria for Selection
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in Business Training Development
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in Education, Communication or any other relevant field
- Good experience in the development sector and international organizations with knowledge of Youth Vulnerabilities and Economic Empowerment Initiatives
- Excellent communication skills, oral, written and presentation
- A good knowledge of educational techniques with the ability to plan, co-ordinate and instruct training sessions.
- Considerable knowledge of visual and audio instructional aids and the ability to employ such devices effectively.
- Ability to maintain effective work relationships with public and private agencies.
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments in the past
- Availability within the period marked for the consultancy
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- The consultant shall work from AAN Office in Benin using his/her own tools. A workstation will be made available to the consultant.
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN for purpose of this consultancy.
Ownership of outputs:
- Outputs of the assignment shall belong to AAN.
Terms of Payment
- ActionAid shall deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) for individuals and 10% for limited (LTD) and public companies (PLC), and remit to relevant authority.
- On the date payment becomes due, the consultant will submit an invoice requesting payment and clearly stating his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN).
SHEA and Safeguarding:
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) and responding robustly when these harms take place in line with our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.
- The consultant will work, be accountable directly to Migration Programme Coordinator and all documentation and resources developed will be submitted to same.
Application Closing Date
15th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) electronically (must be in ONE Microsoft word file) to: [email protected] with the subject line "WVL-N Campaign".
Click here for more information
- Interested Writers are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency (include the fee for undertaking the task on the last page of your CV. Please note that only a flat fee will be paid. Daily rate does not apply.) Links to sample of past works or any relevant information, demonstrating skill and experience in this area should also be included.
- The submission must be in ONE Microsoft word file.
- Failure to follow the directions above will lead to the disqualification of your application
- The selected Consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task.
- Please note that only the successful applicant will be contacted