ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Institutional Capacity Assessment and Training Manual Development Consultant - Migration II Project
Job Type: Contract
Project Overview and Objectives
- AAN is implementing its Migration Programme tagged “Dare To Hope” - Creation of Socio-Economic Alternatives in Edo State, Nigeria. The project’s overall objective is to stimulate sustainable economic empowerment of vulnerable youth to (18-35) in Nigeria to enjoy full socio-economic rights. In the long-term, young people’s socio-economic outlook can transform building their resilience and making them self-reliant.
- The specific objective of this project is to promote young people (18-35) in Benin, Auchi and Uromi districts in Edo State, increased access to socio-economic alternatives to migration and empowered to make informed migrations decisions.
- Target beneficiaries will have access to accelerated market-based training and self-development programs that will prepare them to improve their standard of living.
The achievement of the project objective depends on the realisation of the three expected results:
- ER1: 2000 youth (18-35), of which 500 returnees and at least 1.100 women and girls, living in target locations are better equipped to improve their livelihoods
- ER2: 5.400 youth and 850 key members of their communities are more aware of the risks linked with and alternatives to migration, and of the actual conditions in country of arrival
- ER3: 7 relevant government agencies in Edo State improve their capacity to coordinate and respond to migration issues, through the acquisition of the necessary competences
ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is working with Ideal Development and Resource Centre (IDRC) in Benin City and Esan North-East LGA and Kairos Youth Empowerment Initiative in Etsako West LGA as formal sub-recipients towards achieving set project objectives.
Purpose of this Call
- ActionAid Nigeria is seeking to recruit a qualified consultant to assess the organizational, institutional, and technical capacities of relevant agencies and identify their training needs. The findings of the assessment will then inform the development a capacity development strategy (training manual) which will address the identified capacity gaps and respond to the chronic institutional weakness on migration management.
- Seven government agencies were selected to benefit from this activity based on the role they play in migration responses, both on the creation of effective alternatives, and for the fight against trafficking and the reintegration of returnees. To achieve this, the selected consultant is expected to carry out a desk study of secondary data as well as conduct a series of structured interviews with members of the selected agencies.
- In carrying out this assignment, the consultant will draft the capacity assessment methodology and tools for approval prior to the actual assessment. Additionally, at the end of consultancy, the consultant will work closely with the Project Coordinator to organise a one-week workshop to present the outcome of the assessment for validation and subsequently finalize the findings report and the training manual for the 3-year project.
- The total duration for this consultancy is 10 days.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ActionAid’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of ActionAid
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Communication and interpersonal skills required for collaboration with government agencies as well as various stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize work and produce the required outputs in the given timeline.
- Ability to advise effectively and demonstrate mentoring skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent training and presentation skills.
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or related field.
The consultant is expected to have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in organizational or institutional capacity building; development project formulation and management
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and recommendations for need assessments
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in dealing with the tools and systems related to migration and capacity development
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills required
- Proven ability to work with multiple stakeholders and obtain buy in for project ideas with strong data collection, analysis and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct strategic planning exercises and develop implementation plans and formal reports
- Understanding of political economy, conflict analysis and relevant strategies for implementing crisis sensitive responses to migration management issues
- Demonstrable experience undertaking similar consultancies for international development organizations, preferably ActionAid
- Demonstrated ability in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for data analysis, including SPSS.
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- The consultant shall work from AAN Office in Benin using his/her own tools. A workstation will be made available to the consultant if required.
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN for the purpose of this consultancy.
Ownership of outputs:
- The expected outputs of the assignment - detailed capacity gaps analysis and draft training manual - shall belong to AAN.
Terms of Payment
- ActionAid shall deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) for individuals and 10% for limited (LTD) and public companies (PLC), and remit to relevant authority. On the date payment becomes due, the consultant will submit an invoice requesting payment and clearly stating his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN).
SHEA and Safeguarding:
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) and responding robustly when these harms take place in line with our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.
- The consultant will work, be accountable directly to Migration Programme Coordinator and all documentation and resources developed will be submitted to same.
Application Closing Date
19th June, 2020.
Method of Applications
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency. Applications electronically in one MS Word file to: [email protected] using the subject line "Training Needs Assessment and Training Manual Development"
- Failure to adhere to instructions on submissions could invalidate your application.
- Please note that only the successful applicant will be contacted.