ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Advisor, Humanitarian (Consultancy Position)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reporting to: Manager, Humanitarian and Resilience
Duration; 6 months (July - December 2020)
Internal Relationships: Entire AAN team.
External Relationships: Partners, Donors, CSOs and relevant government agencies.
- The Job Holder will support the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting on ActionAid Nigeria’s Humanitarian Development Nexus actions, ensure adequate engagements with relevant stakeholders, mobilization and participation of national organizations as well as support in undertaking effective and appropriate documentation and shared learning systems, that will collectively contribute to improved programme quality and impact towards realization of the programme objectives.
- With support from the Manager, Humanitarian and Resilience develop, implement and monitor quarterly, monthly and weekly activity plans including budget and procurement to achieve expected results.
- Provide policy, technical and operational advice and support on advancing sustainable development in crisis and post-crisis contexts and ensuring linkages with humanitarian and development, planning and programming, including prevention and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
- Support national actors working in the humanitarian sector and contribute to growing discussions around the new way of working as captured by the World Humanitarian Submit.
- Produce periodic and quality analytical products on the Human Development (HD) nexus matters in Nigeria
- Support in planning and capacity building training workshops for humanitarian organizations on the Humanitarian Development nexus
- Establish and maintain contacts with relevant government officials, UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, media, etc.; ensures appropriate mechanisms to facilitate collaboration and exchange of information that would further AAN humanitarian work
- Support systems and manage the process of timely project and other reporting, including following up on internal and external reports and ensuring compliance with terms of reference and consultancies.
- Participate in proposal development Facilitate and support relevant capacity needs as identified from humanitarian nexus engagements
- Ensure the implementation of AAN methodologies at the community and states’ level
Capacity Development 2:
- Develop training modules and facilitate trainings of groups and organizations on the Humanitarian development nexus warning systems resilience, access to credits and farming techniques
- Support system strengthening and organizational development
Communication and Reporting:
- Managing external communications including handling queries and issues on a timely and appropriate basis.
- Set up effective communication mechanisms from community to AAN; other partners or other relevant stakeholders including security agents and other MDAs.
- Work with relevant units to ensure implementation of planned activities
- Work with AAN communications hub to provide content on Humanitarian Development nexus activities for our media including social media spaces.
- Ensure adequate and effective documentation of all reports within the unit
- Actively participate in developing project budgets for the humanitarian unit project in accordance with AA financial guidelines.
- Facilitate the financial processes for service providers engaged by the unit
- Participate in, or lead where necessary, any programme, procedure or strategy to enhance the goal and objectives of AAN Humanitarian & Resilience unit.
- Actively take part in the overall policy, programme, procedures and strategy development of AAN in general.
- Active engagement in community mobilization and programming and movement building
- Assume any other responsibilities relevant to the position as assigned by line manager
- First degree in social sciences or arts/humanities
- Membership of relevant professional Institute
- Masters’ degree in relevant
- At least three years’ post NYSC experience
- At least two years’ experience in similar position in the development sector
- Experience in community mobilization
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Word & Outlook (MS Office in general)
- Experience working on a conflict project and intervening at community levels
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong communication & writing skills
- Active presence on social media
- Computer skills with good working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Ability to implement data management systems
- Fluency in spoken and written English language
- Highly numerate
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Excellent (proven) interpersonal skills
- Experience working with youth, women groups and persons with disabilities
- Team player, a person of integrity
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- Self-motivated person able to work with minimum supervision
- Effectively promote AAN’s mission values, and objectives
Application Closing Date
28th June, 2020.
Method of Applications
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in one document in an MSWord attachment to to: [email protected] Subject line of email must state clearly - Programme Advisor, Humanitarian (Consultancy Position).
Click here for more information (PDF)
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.