The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Professor
Location: Yola, Adamawa
School: Business and Entrepreneurship
Reports to: Dean, SBE
Summary of the Position
- This position will teach both required and elective finance courses in our undergraduate and graduate programs. A strong commitment to excellence in teaching and research is expected.
- Areas of teaching emphasis include corporate finance, financial institutions, investments, and international finance.
- Applicants should be familiar or be comfortable using STATA and/or MATLAB in the classroom. In addition; S/he must exhibit a strong commitment and willingness to engage students within and beyond the walls of the traditional classroom in accordance with the university’s policy and procedure.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course content.
- Evaluate and select texts and instructional materials; prepare course materials and lesson plans
- Provide students an approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies in line with those of the School, texts and readings, assignments and deliverables, timelines and evaluation criteria
- Use the established learning management system to post syllabus, assignments and other materials and to communicate with students
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide interesting and engaging assignments that demonstrate the real-world applications of concepts covered
- Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations; provide feedback in a timely manner on student progress
- Be available for student consultation through office hours or scheduled appointments or by phone or email
- Maintain records of enrolment and attendance, assessments and grades, submit class rosters and grade sheets by established deadlines
- Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations when available and use feedback to improve course delivery
- Revise and update course content as needed.
- Meet with the Dean or Program Chair as needed to discuss all aspects of the course including student progress and curriculum development (may be required to provide input into program development)
- Submit an annual performance review
Requirements for the Position
- Hold a PhD degree in a field related to Finance
- Have at least three years of work experience in higher education after obtaining a PhD – as a teacher and/or researcher
- Have a proven record of academic publications in good journals
- Prior teaching experience in a graduate or undergraduate program and corporate training is expected
- Ability and experience teaching across disciplines (e.g. Accounting, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience of American educational system is a requirement.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Current knowledge of the relevant discipline
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring students
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment
- Ability to deliver course outcomes and content through a variety of teaching/learning styles
- Ability to use technology effectively in teaching
- Respect for students and a genuine interest in their learning
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good organizational skills and timeliness in responding to student inquiries
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with students and colleagues
- Operate computers and other office equipment and technology
- Proven experience and success in teaching in a variety of delivery formats, including face-to-face, online, and blended technologies is preferred
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2020.