Norwegian Church Aid ('NCA') is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The Operations Manager is a critical member of the country's senior management team with supervisory and managerial responsibility. Reporting to the Country Director, Operations Manager will be primarily responsible for enabling excellence in all operations functions of all offices in Nigeria including Human Resources and administration, procurement, logistics, assets, fleet, warehousing, and information technology.
- S/he will be required to strengthen the operational performance and efficiency of the organization by developing the capacity of staff and establishing the procedures of compliance with NCA systems.
- S/he will also ensure that managerial processes, resources and the necessary infrastructure are all in place. The Operations Manager provides support and leadership through capacity building and the development of systems.
- Norwegian Church Aid is an independent and diaconal organization mandated by Churches and Christian Organizations in Norway to fight for a more just world by saving lives and seeking justice together with our partners around the globe.
- Objective 1: Develop and implement a strategic vision for the operations department ensuring compliance as a habit and supporting innovation
- Objective 2: Provide leadership to the supply chain and logistics department by promoting compliance to procurement policies and developing accountability mechanisms
- Objective 3: Support the migration to HR digital platform and support all HR functions from recruitment to development and adherence to statutory provisions
- Objective 4: Ensure proper management of service contracts for office and guest house as well as provision of a safe working space for all staff.
- Objective 5: As member of the SMT, demonstrate leadership and support implementation of SMT decisions
- Objective 6: Undertake regular capacity gap analysis, plan and implement capacity building options.
Roles and Responsibilities (Specific Tasks, Coordination Etc.)
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction of program support department by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Work with the Country Director and senior management team to support the growth of the program portfolio, formulate strategies and plans for capacity development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support
- Supervise the Senior Logistic Officer, in the strategic guidance for the management of warehousing, procurement, fleet and assets.
- Ensure efficiency and compliance in local and international procurement. This includes ensuring regular reviews and updates of the Approved Supplier List.
- Ensure proper stewardship of NCA resources, and the optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources including ensuring proper inventory controls; effective fleet management/planning; and appropriate asset management and disposition planning.
- Ensure high quality reporting that allows for proper tracing and tracking of inventory and assets. Ensure that in-kind transactions are reflected appropriately in financial statements according to NCA policy.
- Ensure integrity (accuracy, security) of Supply Chain Management and Vehicle Management information systems.
- Supervise the HR service in strategic management of human resources, including engagement, talent mapping, and succession planning and career development.
- Ensure that the Country Program is adequately staffed with support functions to meet the needs of program implementation
- Ensure that recruitments are conducted as per policy, noting that all recruitments must meet the minimum standards for the delivery of the projects.
- Ensure compensation policies and practices are regularly reviewed and administered to support internal equity, market competitiveness and policy adherence.
- Ensure effective implementation of performance management and staff development systems.
- Ensure the creation of an environment of care and comfort for all staff.
- Ensure the integrity (accuracy, security) of information in HR information systems.
- Promote utilization of the HR digital platform, Aditro.
- Oversee compliance with local laws. Ensure that legal commitments are made in accordance with local law and NCA operational Manual, as applicable.
- Manage responsibilities that go with an international presence, including country agreements and visa and registration requirements.
- Identify and work with local counsel, through a service contract agreement to support negotiations with government bodies.
- Act as lead contact for and lead responder to any issues that emerge from internal and external of NCA.
- Supervise the Administration Management. Communicate CD priorities and guide him/her to ensure alignment of efforts.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, demonstrate strategic leadership on CO decisions
- Ensure timely decision making on issues to facilitate program support
- Demonstrate an understanding of the working environment and undertake measures that ensure staff feel comfortable and safe at work
- Provide guidance to the support unit and facilitate implementation of SMT decisions
- Ensure that staff performance and development process is followed, and recommendations therefrom implemented.
- Develop and maintain requisite skill sets necessary to implement support functions for the country office
- Actively participate in staff capacity mapping and budget adequately for capacity building on key gaps
- Regularly facilitate in-house trainings on key processes to ensure a good understanding of NCA procedures
- Mentor and coach the next level of managers through role shifting, delegation and active role management
- Undertake any other task delegated by the CD NCA’s mandate as necessary.
- Cross-Cutting Issues (Gender, Protection, Environment & Other)
- The position must ensure the centrality of the humanitarian principles and demonstrate understanding of protection of program participants. Hence the position holder should;
- Understand and adhere to the provisions of CHS
- Respect program participants and ensure they are always treated with dignity
- Promote accountability and the support the operation of the CMR process.
- Adhere to and, facilitate adherence to the of ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- Success factors and desirable qualifications
The successful candidate must have:
- Master's degree required (management-related or general operations preferred);
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience managing operations and/or projects in fragile and insecure locations, preferably in West Africa
- Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices
- Demonstrated ability to support office/programme startup, including the development and set up of systems, in line with appropriate standards
- Experience in logistics, HR/Admin, and security management
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills
- Strong computer skills
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel in the field and work in remote locations with minimum amenities and / or with relative safety as approved by NCA
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Norwegian Church Aid and amongst beneficiaries served by Norwegian Church Aid
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Norwegian Church Aid. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Norwegian Church Aid’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Application Closing Date
14th July, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application letter and CV to: [email protected] addressing it to "The Human Resources, Norwegian Church Aid" and using the "Job Title & Location" as the subject of the email.
- Nigeria Nationals only
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates must state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.