ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass-root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Call for Expression of Interest: Strategy Development for Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities (JONAPWD) Gombe for the implementation of Local Rights Programme
Job Type: Contract
Project Overview and Objectives
- As part of ActionAid Nigeria’s plan to expand its areas of intervention across Nigeria with the aim of increasing her engagement with the poor and marginalized through working with persons with disabilities. Actionaid is taking a deliberate approach of promoting inclusion and affirmative action in its work. This involves working with organisation of persons with disabilities to engage the general populace to implement the Local Rights Programme.
- The core strategy for the LRPs is in accordance with the AA global strategy as spelt out in the AAN CSP –working in partnerships to eradicate poverty. This partnership involves the local NGO, women, men, girls and boys in poor and marginalized communities, the local and traditional leadership, local Government officials and Government agencies, the private sector and development actors already working in, or willing to work in the LRP, in a connected effort to ensure that those who are poor and marginalized secure sustained improvement in the quality of their lives, through promoting access to basic rights and services.
- The critical input in this strategy involves capacity building and nurturing local structures and the people themselves to continuously analyse their situation, identify workable actions and have the skills to take the needed actions which may often include engaging duty bearers, to ensure equity in the allocation of resources.
- The strategy also involves the use of some analytical tools and frameworks for the analysis of social and power relations in the communities and taking appropriate actions to make corrections in favour of the excluded and marginalized.
- It is in this light that ActionAid seeks to engage a Consultant to develop a 3-year strategy plan for JONAPWD Gombe that will provide focus for the implementation of the Local Rights programme in Gombe State.
Specific Objectives of the Consultancy:
- Define the scope and the methodology of the strategic framework development process.
- Review and analyse the vision of JONAPWD Gombe with a focus on how to implement the LRP Strategy.
- Identify critical gaps, conduct SWOT analysis and identify strategic opportunities for JONAPWD Gombe and its members
- Engage with JONAPWD Gombe to prioritize strategic direction and refine mission, vision, objectives and strategy;
- Support JONAPWD Gombe in designing appropriate systems and metrics for Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact to best align with ActionAid’s identified strategic priorities; and
- Provide written inputs to the development of the strategic framework for presentation to AAN team for approval.
Purpose of this Call:
- ActionAid Nigeria is seeking to recruit a qualified consultant to support in leading JONAPWD Gombe and its stakeholders in a technically grounded, consultative and participatory planning process, to include extensive consultations with public sector partners and the private sector.
- The substantive outcome will be a three-year strategic plan for the period 2021- 2023 in line with the organisation’s Vision. Including institutional arrangements, specific activities, proposed programmes, timelines, targets and a detailed costing.
- The consultant should also provide a communication and monitoring plan.
The Consultant will:
- Take a lead on contextual analyses and identification of programme area for the LRP in line with the context and AAN CSP.
- Carry out a desk review of documents relevant to an understanding of the mandate, legal framework, work and context of JONAPWD. This will include the organisation’s existing interim strategic action plan
- Develop an understanding of the current situation of JONAPWD, paying special attention to issues of sustainable development.
- Hold discussions with the staff and members of the organisation to build a common approach to the assignment.
- Conduct a needs assessment of the organisations’ programmes, which will include a review of the organisation’s existing structure and institutional arrangements with a view to developing a “strategy for quality programme implementation”. This will be a component of the final plan.
- Develop a comprehensive methodology and work plan for a participatory process of the development of the organisation strategic plan with a view to achieving both support, concrete co-operation and programming with relevant agencies such as the Ministry of Women, Youth and Social Development in Gombe State
- The total duration for this consultancy is 7 days.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or related field.
The consultant is expected to have the following qualifications:
- Background knowledge of the state and the ability to speak common/local language of the state which the assessment will be conducted with
- Experience of working with organisations of Persons with Disabilities
- Hands-on experience in conducting Strategic Plan Development
- Evidence of experience in use of HRBA in programming
- Experience of working in poor, rural communities of Nigeria
- Demonstrable experience of producing high-quality, credible research/assessments (sample report of such is required).
- Understanding and experience of working with state and non-state actors (at all levels) and international organisations
- Knowledge of research, monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative
- Knowledge of local governance and conflict issues (desirable)
- The individual’s or his/her organisation’s work responds to the needs and interests of poor and marginalised women, men, aged, people living with disabilities and other forms of diversity
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments in the past
- Should be available within one week of consultancy offer
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ActionAid’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of ActionAid
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Communication, interpersonal and professional skills required for collaboration with Government agencies as well as various stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize work and produce the required outputs in the given timeline.
- Ability to advise effectively and demonstrate mentoring skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent training and presentation skills.
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity.
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- The consultant shall work from his/her place of business and JONAPWD office in Gombe using his/her own tools. A workstation will be made available to the consultant if required.
- Availability within one week of offer on contract
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN for the purpose of this consultancy.
Ownership of Outputs:
- The expected outputs of the assignment – developed strategy and detailed report shall belong to AAN.
SHEA and Safeguarding:
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) and responding robustly when these harms take place in line with our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.
- The consultant will work closely with the Partnership and Local Rights Program Manager while reporting to Head of Programmes. All documentation and resources developed will be submitted to same.
Terms of Payment
- ActionAid shall deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) for individuals and 10% for limited (LTD) and public companies (PLC), and remit to relevant authority. On the date payment becomes due and upon satisfactory completion of assignment and production of detailed report, the consultant will submit an invoice requesting payment and clearly stating his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN).
Application Closing Date
10th July, 2020
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV detailing competency electronically in one MS Word file via: [email protected] using the subject line "Strategy Development for Organisational Implementation: Local Rights Programme" as subject of the email.
Click here for more Information
- Failure to adhere to instructions on submissions could invalidate your application.
- Please note that only the successful applicant will be contacted.