The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has received a credit from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost of the Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria (TRIMING) Project and it intends to apply part of the proceeds of the credit towards payment for consultancy services in the form of an individual consultant as:
Job Title: General Manager (GM)
Reference No: FMWR / TRIMING / 2020 / INDV / CS / 02
Locations: Kano / Jigawa / Zamfara / Sokoto
Name of Project: Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria
Project ID No: P123112
- The TRIMING Project is seeking to recruit individual Professional Experts (Consultant) in the above-named area with experience in investment operation relating to the management of Farmers Management and Service Centers in TRIMING Project Sites of Kano River Irrigation Scheme (KRIS) Kadawa in Kano State; Hadejia Valley Irrigation Scheme (HVIS), Auyo in Jigawa State; Bakalori Irrigation Scheme (BIS), Talata Mafara in Zamfara State and Middle Rima Valley Irrigation Scheme (MRVIS), Goronyo in Sokoto State.
- A set of the individual experts working as a Team will under the supervision of their respective FMC Board of Trustees (BoTs) primarily support the TRIMING Project Management Unit (PMU) in the Management of Farmers Management and Service Delivery Centers in each Project Site.
- The four Farmer Management and Service Delivery Centers (FMC5) have been registered under the Nigeria’s Companies and Allied Matters Act of 1990 (CAMA) as companies limited by shares.
The Objective of the Assignment and Duration
- The purpose of the FMCs is to address challenges faced by small-scale farmers in four irrigation schemes of BlS HVIS, KRIS, and MRIS. Identified constraints include, but are not limited to, access to quality inputs, mechanization services, advisory services, and credit.
- The FMCs are also envisioned to act as catalysts strengthening managerial capacities of smallholder farmer cooperatives and apex cooperatives that are the majority shareholders in the FMCs.
- The FMCs objective is to transform irrigation agriculture into a commercially viable investment, leading to improved productivity, reduction in post-harvest losses, improved quality of commodities, and a more efficient and predictable marketing system.
- The FMCs are also envisioned to improve farmers’ access to financial services.
- The duration of individual subject matter experts for this assignment will be for initial period of two (2) years, with the possibility of annual renewal for the project duration subject to work requirements and satisfactory performance.
Functions of FMCs
The function of FMC5 for this assignment in liaison with National Project Coordinator (NPC) will primarily include, but not limited to the following:
- Warehouse (and pack houses for tomato) development to encourage large off-taker interest and allow for cleaning, grading, insurance, farmers’ access to credit facilities using warehouse receipt system and long-term storage and improve quality of onward supply. It is expected that warehousing will also help to buffer the price for paddy farmers.
- Facilitation of inputs supply and agro-dealer support and development
- Facilitation of mechanization services
- Facilitation of finance for scheme value chains
- Market facilitation to support establishment of long-term offtake contracts and contribute to the creation of more competitive, inclusive, and resilient market systems
- Provision of technical services and advisory - extension services, business development, accounting, and bookkeeping services to cooperatives, etc.
- The general manager will work under supervision of and report to the FMC Board of Trustees.
- He or she will work closely with leadership of farmer cooperatives to promote the activities of the FMC and to ensure buy-in from members of the cooperatives.
- He or She will take leadership in planning production activities for the target value chains in order to ensure adequate availability of inputs and mechanization services to achieve production targets.
- He or She will lead development of a more efficient marketing system for targeted value chains by identifying and building alliances with potential off-takers or aggregators and building capacities of farmers through their cooperatives to engage in joint marketing through the FMC facilities.
- He or She will lead planning and coordinating production, value preservation, and marketing of scheme commodities.
- He or She will also be expected tp ensure close monitoring of scheme operations to maintain Sound financial and management practices by the FMC.
Areas of responsibility would include, but not limited to - To deliver the vision of a modern and commercially viable FMC, the general manager will provide:
- Leadership: Implement the strategy of the shareholders for a commercially viable and profitable FMC
- Budget and resource management: Manage the budget for FMC operation and management
- Sustainability and business planning: Lead work with value chain specialists in developing sustainable and appropriate business models for each promoted value chain
- Relationship management: Promote the FMC among the appropriate stakeholders in the region
- Monitoring and reporting: Supervise and provide technical advice for the management of agricultural production on the scheme to ensure FMC/cooperatives achieve set targets of production.
- A Master's degree in relevant discipline; five to seven years’ experience working with a large agribusiness company, preferable trading in commodities.
- Must be able to use basic packages and spreadsheets to generate presentations and reports; operate confidently on the internet to send e-mail and source information.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- Experience of growing start-ups and/or of leading large organizations, working to international standards
- Exposure to agricultural initiatives using modern agricultural technologies
- Experience of organization development and/or institution building activities
- Experience of training and capacity building activities at the grassroots level
- Sound entrepreneurial skills and business know-how
- Experience in managing out-grower schemes
- Experience in managing successful agribusiness start-ups will be an added advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of agribusiness in Nigeria
- Excellent representational and negotiation skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in Hausa is an added advantage
Consultant EOI / Shortlisting Criteria
- Interested individual consultants should submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) with all the necessary document attached such as copies of engagement letters etc. and other supporting information that the CV demonstrates that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services.
The short-listing criteria are:
- Evidence of General qualifications of the consultant (Education, Training, and work Experience
- Adequacy for the Assignment: Evidence of general experience in area of expertise listed above
- Evidence of specific experience in/of particular area of expertise in general management, workshop/ equipment management and administration/finance or similar fields as it is applicable to area of expertise
- Proven experience of project management, administration and financing, especially in Nigeria’s private sector.
Application Closing Date
2.00pm (Nigeria local time) on 7th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their expression of interest via e-mail or hard copy (all relevant documents must also be submitted) to the address below depending on the area of location:
ATTN: National Project Coordinator,
Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria Project,
Federal Ministry of Water Resources,
Plot 1402, Abba Kyari Stree, Off Adesoji Aderemi Street,
Apo - Abuja, Nigeria.
TeI: +2348038391469, +2348052048706.
Important Information / Notice
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and employment of Consultants (under IBRD loans and IDA Credit and Grants) by World Bank borrowers. January 2011 edition and revised in July 2014 (Consultants Guidelines) setting forth the World Bank Policy on Conflict of Interest.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information from the address below during office hours 08:00 and 17:00 (Local time Monday to Friday) and /or send an email to the National Project Coordinator at address [email protected]
- The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the position can be found at the following website: www.triming.org
- Each successful candidate has to make arrangements on his / her personal security in the course of discharging his / her official responsibility.