World Renew is an agency of the Christian Reformed Church in North America Living Justice, Loving Mercy, Serving Christ Compelled by God’s deep passion for justice & mercy, we join communities around the world to renew hope, reconcile lives, and restore creation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Director - Nigeria
Reference No.: 2020 -1375
Location: Jos, Plateau
- World Renew, an agency of the Christian Reformed Church in North America, is seeking to hire a Country Director to serve in Nigeria! World Renew is an international development and disaster response organization with a vision to renew hope, reconcile lives, and restore creation.
- We are searching for experienced development and/or disaster response professional who possesses an understanding of core development and relief concepts, models, and values and has experience managing and leading others in this work.
- The Country Director is based in Jos, Nigeria and is responsible for leading, managing and implementing the Nigeria country strategy to achieve World Renew’s vision of community transformation in alignment with World Renew’s values, standards and global strategic priorities.
- This position acts as the in-country representative for World Renew and represents World Renew to government entities, partners, alliances and donors.
- This position is also co-responsible with the Resonate Global Mission Field Leader for the day to day operations of all aspects of the SUM-CRC joint Nigeria office including administration, human resources and financial management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
They include the following:
- Develop and update the country strategy as required, ensuring alignment with regional strategy and with World Renew’s vision and global strategic priorities.
- Develop and implement a multi-year operational plan that enables the achievement of the country strategy.
- Develop and build relationships with partner staff, networks and alliances, with national religious leaders, with government representatives, with other NGOs and any other appropriate national forums or strategic partnerships.
- Develop and manage partner relationships to ensure the operational capacity to deliver the appropriate support to World Renew’s partners in Nigeria, ensuring effective program consulting.
- Develop a country funding and donor management strategy, in consultation with CORE and the regional team leader, to identify and secure a stable funding base to support the country's program needs.
- Ensure financial oversight of the country budget.
- Provide human resource leadership to all staff by ensuring appropriate strategies are in place for recruitment, compensation and employee development.
- Ensure all staff are oriented to organisational policies, guidelines and best practices for their position, their conduct and their responsibilities in alignment with our commitment and adherence to the Core Humanitarian Standard.
- In collaboration with the Resonate Global Mission Field Leader, provide administrative oversight for SUM-CRC joint office matters and assets, including supervision of staff, ensuring compliance to national laws, and ensuring security protocols are in place, monitored, maintained and reviewed.
- In collaboration with CORE team staff, contribute to the constituency development priority of World Renew which includes both education, fundraising and hosting visitors. This contribution may include but is not limited to travel (within Canada and USA), video conferencing, and producing multimedia content.
- Other duties as assigned
- Direct Reports: National and international staff and volunteers; currently 3 national staff positions hired through SUM-CRC and working full-time for World Renew.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree in a related field required.
- Minimum of ten years of work experience in cross-cultural international management or organizational development role working in community development, disaster response, and/or organizational consultation environment of which three years management experience is required.
- Membership in a Christian church and agreement with the doctrine of the CRC signified by signing a covenant statement. Commitment to and ability to articulate a Christian worldview, particularly as it relates to World Renew’s vision, mission, values and programs.
- Current Legal status to work and live in Jos, Nigeria is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to contribute to and promote a work environment that values diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Demonstrated commitment to working towards gender equality, equity and justice in all aspects of programming, plans, policies and organizational structure
- Working knowledge of and a commitment to core development and relief concepts, models, and values
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective facilitation, negotiation, active listening, decision-making and problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and work in a collaborative complex international team environment
- Demonstrated ability to implement, improve, and integrate community development programs
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with partner organizations
- An ability to relate to donors and diverse, international donors (granting institutions), including knowledge and oversight of project and grant management
- Demonstrated competence in administration, human resources, financial/budgeting and fundraising
- Demonstrated competence in all basic technical computer skills (project management, communications and reporting software applications)
- Fluent in English with effective written and verbal communications skills is required
- Fluency in Hausa is an asset.
- Work is difficult and diversified and requires the frequent application of a high degree of independent thinking to originate and develop procedures, techniques or ideas within the parameters of a broad conceptual outline.
- Living and travel conditions with unreliable access to water and electricity and increased exposure to illness
- Travel in insecure and/or impoverished areas which may have limited or no infrastructure or support structures
- In Country travel of up to 30% of time
- Periodic international and/or regional travel
Application Closing Date
3rd August, 2020.