We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Office Clerk
Locations: Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Lagos, Yobe
Length of contract: 5-years
Role type: National
Travel involved: No
Child safeguarding level: TBA
Reporting to: Line manager: Admin officer
Country and Project Background
Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible.
Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria. Interventions for reducing malaria burden in the country are documented in the national malaria strategic plan with Government taking the lead in its implementation with the support of all the RBM partners. The DFID funded and Malaria Consortium led malaria programme, SuNMaP, provided technical assistance and other support to the Nigeria National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) covering the period 2008 to 2016.
The anticipated follow on project, SuNMaP2 has been designed to strengthen the management and technical capacity of NMEP, State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) and their stakeholders to drive the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan, 2014 to 2020 and achieve its ambitious targets. This will include short term technical assistance and technical assistance embedded in NMEP in key areas of programme management, evidence generation and use, and capacity building across all project outputs and ultimately reducing Nigeria’s malaria burden and strengthening the Government of Nigeria’s health systems capacity to ensure long term programme and impact sustainability.
- The job holder will be responsible for all clerical and administrative support functional duties and activities of the programme.
Scope of Work:
- The Office Clerk will provide support for general Administrative and logistics support to the Program office.
- S/he will be responsible for providing administrative support in managing the office, documentations, mail correspondence and purchasing of office supplies.
- The office clerk is also responsible for manning the front desk and maintaining an updated register of office visitors; updated daily attendance sheet for all staff and ensure all documents are properly filled and archived always.
Key Working Relationships:
- The office clerk will support the SuNMaP 2 state program office in administrative and logistics functions.
Administrative Support: 95%:
- To serve as a front desk officer, receiving visitors into the office and maintaining a visitor register
- Maintain contact information with approved contractors for the servicing of office equipment’s and other assets.
- Maintain updated records of all official correspondence and ensure mails are dispatched as at when due;
- Ensures that all office equipment’s are properly maintained on a regular basis and notify the Administrator when problems arise.
- Provide support in setting up filling system for the office, ensuring ease of storage and retrieval of documents
- Ensure proper management and maintenance of office stock by maintaining an updated stock register;
- Responsible for the supervision of the office cleaners and gardeners;
- S/he will be responsible for the purchase of office supplies, stationeries and other consumables for the office use;
Programme Support: 5%:
- Provide support for meetings and workshops or events for effective programme delivery;
- Maintaining an updated record of events and travels itineraries to ensure proper delivery and satisfaction of service to the projects
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Administration, Social Sciences, Project Management or similar
- Minimum of 2-years’ experience in a related role
- Person resident in and working experience in the State of Assignment
- An in-depth experience in similar positions/assignment
- Ability to work independently in an organized manner but within an integrated team
Work-based Skills and Competencies
- Highly numerate and analytical
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong Microsoft office suite skill
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Budget development, work-plan Implementation and Expense reporting
- Demonstrable passion for Malaria Consortium’s mission; a strategic manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- Proven writing skills in English
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally sensitive setting
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word and Excel
- Knowledge of use of database tools will be an added advantage
- Skill in MS Access will be an added advantage
- Proven team-building and representational skills
LEVEL A - Focuses on delivering contribution to Malaria Consortium and achieving own objectives:
- Puts in effort required to ensure the delivery of own work and objectives to meet (and exceed) expectations
- Strong self-management of time and effort
- Checks own work to ensure quality
Analysis and use of information:
LEVEL A - Gathers information and identifies problems effectively:
- Interprets basic written information
- Attentive to detail
- Follows guidelines to identify issues
- Recognises problems within their remit
- Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and communications:
LEVEL B - Fosters two-way communication:
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
LEVEL A - Is a good and effective team player:
- Is a good and effective team player
- Knows who their customers are and their requirements.
- Respects and listens to different views/opinions
- Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and motivating people:
LEVEL A - Open to learning and responds positively to feedback:
- Willingness to manage own development and performance.
- Builds capacity of colleagues by sharing knowledge (induction) and acting as induction ‘buddy’ when asked.
- Open to learning new things.
- Responds positively to feedback from others
- Identifies mistakes and takes positive steps to improve.
LEVEL A - Recognises own stress levels and adapts:
- Recognises limitations and take steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress
- Remains focused on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment
- Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Living the Values:
LEVEL A - Demonstrates Malaria Consortium values:
- Demonstrates integrity, honesty and fairness in dealing with colleagues and stakeholders
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
- Treats all people with respect
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness:
LEVEL A - Manages own workload effectively:
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan.
- Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives Takes account of team members and others workload when planning.