United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Finance Officer
Job ID: 21233
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Salary Grade: NA
Hardship Level: E
Family Location Type: Non-Family
- Assistant Finance Officer positions provide technical support with the processing of financial transactions, and monitor compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules.
- In operations that do not have a Project Control Officer and are not covered by a Regional Project Control Officer, the Assistant Finance Officer must also perform oversight responsibilities with regard to the execution of projects.
- The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
- UNHCR's financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures are adhered to by the office.
- UNHCR's local cash is safeguarded.
- Monthly accounts are correct and approved.
- Management is promptly informed of major variances in the execution of projects (budgets, finance, implementation or timeframe).
- Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure in the office.
- Analyze, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets;
- Review vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Propose monthly cash requirements for the office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds.
- Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
- Analyze and evaluate all financial reports produced on a regular basis.
- Maintain effective business relationships with local banks.
- Support ensuring compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Verify that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Prepare office-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the regional office or Headquarters.
- Approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA / BS) in Accounting, Finance, or Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR undergraduate degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent) plus minimum one year of previous job experience in the field of accounting or finance. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Working experience of at least one year in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar).
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Working experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial modules.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR Assistant Finance Officer positions.
- The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position.
- Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Performance
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Strategic Planning and Vision
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Planning and Organizing
- Policy Development and Research
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Working knowledge of local language is desirable.
- This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS)
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.