The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
The ECOWAS Commission invites eligible Consultants (firm) to indicate their interests in providing the services below:
Job Title: Consultant (Firm) for the Feasibility Study of PRODEL 20,000 Project
Location: Abuja, Nigeria,
Client : ECOWAS Commission
Type: Expression of Interest (EOI)
- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) represented by the ECOWAS Commission intends to select a consultant (firm) to carry out a technical, economic, social and environmental feasibility study for the villages selected in the framework of the Regional Project for the electrification of 20,000 villages in West Africa.
- The objective of the mission is to carry out, for the PRODEL 20000 Project, a technical, economic, social and environmental feasibility study for the two planned project implementation phases. The mission will collect field data, define the technical solutions, assess the environmental and social impacts, give estimated costs, perform the economic and financial profitability calculations, indicate socio-economic impacts, prove project viability and provide tentative schedule for implementation.
Scope of Work
The scope of work of the Consulting firm is as follows:
Step 1: Data collected in the countries:
- The consultant will use the villages selection report to collect the necessary data for his study and, in particular, for the establishment of electrification drawings, demographic and socioeconomic data, inventory of potential consumers, list of sites and community infrastructure (schools, medical centers, pharmacies, public offices, public places, wells or water distribution systems, markets, shops, etc.) or agro-industrial sites likely to be electrified, energy consumption data, cartographic data and digitized plan fonds, technical data, possible electrification method (by solar kits or solar mini grid or by conventional network), possible layouts of HV and LV distribution lines if by network , etc.).
Step 2: Feasibility Study:
- The Consultant will indicate the appropriate solution for each village, estimate the implementation cost and the level of economic, social and environmental advantage of the electrification compared to a situation without this electrification.
- Using the data collected, the Consultant will create a Geographic Information System (GIS) map, hence a spatial database, covering the villages to be electrified.
- The Consultant will forecast the power demand over a period of 20 years, with the number and type of consumers (households, collective equipment, administrative centers, commercial or artisanal units).
- For technical feasibility, the Consultant will carry out a geo-spatial and technical analysis of the village to propose an optimal technical option for the electrification method: three-phase line, single-phase line, solar kits or solar mini-grid.
- For environmental and social feasibility, an Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) for affected people will be established for all of the 20,000 villages or for each country if required.
- For economic feasibility, the Consultant will provide an estimate of the cost of implementation, by village with a summary by country, without keeping off mind the estimated costs of compensation for environmental and social impacts.
- The time required to complete the study is estimated at six (6) months.
In pursuance of Community human and financial capacity development in ECOWAS, foreign firms that do not enter into a joint venture agreement with Member States' firms shall not be eligible to participate in a tender process.
The criteria for shortlisting are as follows:
- Be a registered firm, specialized in design and planning of power distribution networks (modelling, calculations and simulation) as well in solar photovoltaic and wind systems and shall justify of at least ten (10) working years of experience in the field of conventional electricity distribution and renewable energy particularly photovoltaic solar energy,
- Shall justify satisfactory execution in the last ten (10) years at least two (2) similar assignments in power distribution networks and solar systems studies (feasibility studies, front end engineering design and detailed design studies, master plans),
- Must hold a GIS license or justify the possibility of access to GIS software for this feasibility study.
- Shall justify satisfactory execution one (1) similar assignment in using GIS for rural electrification as well as the skills and means required,
- Shall justify the availability of necessary key personnel (Electrical Engineer; Specialist in geographic information system; Specialist in grid studies; Specialist in solar electrification; Specialist in economic and financial analysis and Specialist in environmental and social safeguards) for the successful execution of the assignment in all aspect. (list and a brief summary of qualifications and experience).
NB: In addressing the above-listed criteria, consulting firms must provide tangible evidence and detailed references for all claims made in terms of experience and capabilities, similar assignments, etc. Each reference provided should be summarized on a project sheet and will be CONSIDERED AND ACCEPTED ONLY if the candidate attaches SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS (Contract AND / OR Attestation(s) of Good Performance of each contract presented, as issued and signed by the Client).
Application Closing Date
Thursday, 20th August, 2020 at 11.00 am (GMT+1), Nigeria Time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified consultants / firm should send their Expressions of interest (1 original and 3 copies) in sealed envelopes and clearly marked "Selection of a consultancy firm for the feasibility study on the ECOWAS Education Agency" to the address below:
The Directorate of General Administration, Procurement Division,
1st Floor ECOWAS Commission,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P. M. B. 401,
Send electronically to: [email protected] with copy to: [email protected] ; [email protected]t ; [email protected] ; [email protected]
Click here for more information
Important Information / Notice
- Interested Consulting firms may apply as a consortium or partnership to ensure and / or boost their consolidated capacities to execute the assignment.
- Interested, eligible and qualified consulting firms must provide full information on their qualifications and experience, demonstrating that they are qualified and experienced in providing similar services.
- The eligibility criteria, the preparation of shortlist, and the selection procedure shall comply with the ECOWAS Rules and Procedures for the Use of Consultants” (ECOWAS Procurement Code), available on its website: http://www.ecowas.int .The procedure will be based on Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS). A shortlist of six (6) to eight (8) firms maximum, which present the best profiles, for the step following the expression of interest. Also, firms that are part of an international Holding are to submit only one expression of interest as a Holding.
- The attention of interested Consulting firms is particularly drawn to Article 118 of the ECOWAS Revised Procurement Code (“Infringements by Candidates, Bidders and Awardees”), providing information on corrupt or fraudulent practices in competing for or executing a contract. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per “Article 119 of the aforementioned Code.
- Interested consultant firms may obtain further information at the address below during office hours: Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Nigeria Time: "The Procurement Division, Directorate of General Administration, ECOWAS Commission, Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon, Crescent, Asokoro District, P. M. B. 401, Abuja, Nigeria" or by E-mail to the following addresses: [email protected] with copy to: [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected]