ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is an affiliate of ActionAid International, a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, ActionAid works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. At AAN we work within poor and excluded communities to promote respect for the human rights of all.
Our work extends beyond the people in these communities to relevant authorities with a view to empowering the people to take necessary action to end poverty. Since 1999, AAN has focused on social justice, gender equality and poverty eradication using the Human Rights Based Approach. AAN functions on the premise that protecting and fulfilling the human rights of people living in poverty will contribute to the eradication of poverty and injustice in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Participatory Reflection and Review Process (PRRP) of Local Rights Programme (LRP)
Locations: FCT, Kogi and Kwara
Contract: Short Term
Job Type: Contract
Programme Overview and objectives
- ActionAid has a particular view on monitoring, evaluation and information management which aligns with our approach of working with and in partnership with people living in poverty.
- To monitor our Country Strategy Paper, ALPS requires we open a space for honest and critical self-reflection among poor and excluded people, partners, staff and other stakeholders involved in the change process, both individually and collectively. We will need to facilitate between those actors, in ensuring their accountabilities for results, and thereby build trust in relationships and synergy in actions. This allows us to learn from our experiences, respond and adapt to a changing context, and empower each of us, particularly poor and excluded people, to pursue the change we seek to realize.
- The core strategy for the LRPs is in accordance with the AA global strategy as spelt out in the AAN CSP –working in partnerships to eradicate poverty. This partnership involves the state based partner, women, men, girls and boys in poor and marginalized communities, the local and traditional leadership, local Government officials and Government agencies, the private sector and development actors working in the LRP, in a connected effort to ensure that those who are poor and marginalized secure sustained improvement in the quality of their lives, through promoting access to basic rights and services.
- The critical input involves capacity building and nurturing local structures and the people to continuously analyse their situation, identify workable actions and have the skills to take the needed actions which may often include engaging duty bearers, to ensure equity in the allocation of resources. This involve the use of some analytical tools and frameworks for the analysis of social and power relations in the communities and taking appropriate actions in favour of the excluded and marginalised.
- It is in this light that ActionAid Nigeria seeks to engage a consultant to conduct PRRP of its Local Rights Programme in FCT, Kogi and Kwara states.
Specific Objectives of the Participatory Reflection and Review Process (PRRP) are:
- To promote downward accountability to communities and stakeholders.
- To assess progress towards achievement of thematic objectives vis-à-vis Country Strategic Paper (CSP) goals and priorities in line with Accountability, Learning and Planning System (ALPS) and Content Management Framework (CMF) requirements.
- To create platform for linkages between community-level issues and state-level policy framework through community-led advocacy.
- Deepen communities and stakeholders understanding of the way AAN works.
- To glean data that will inform our 2021 operational plans.
- Develop an inception report which will detail the methodology, work plan, framework for qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, including data collection processes and tools etc.
- Carry out desk review of State LRP reports, programme evaluation reports and review relevant state policy documents to enrich the PRRP report.
- The consultant will be responsible for facilitating and conducting all interviews, discussions and data collection and will use relevant tools, methods and framework that will inform 2021 operational plans
- Develop PRRP report to include findings, lessons learnt, conclusions and recommendations in line with AAN guidelines. Co-plan and facilitate dissemination meetings between AAN and other stakeholders at the state levels.
Methodology and Approach:
- The process intends to adopt a methodology that is responsive to the aspirations of ActionAid Nigeria. The broad methodologies of the process will consider the most suitable participatory methodologies that are both pro-active and responsive.
- These methods will ensure that all activities and outputs maintain and sustain the critical linkages with issues of systematic collection, analysis and use of monitoring and evaluation information.
- In addition, there will be several review and discussion sessions designed to encourage dialogue, constructive debate and consensus-building (action planning).
Timeline of the Participatory Reflection and Review Process:
- The Participatory Reflection and Review Process will take place from 22nd September - 1st October 2020. The total duration for this consultancy is 10 days.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or related field.
The consultant is expected to have the following qualifications:
- Background knowledge of the state and the ability to speak common/local language of the state which the assessment will be conducted with.
- Hands-on experience conducting similar impact assessments.
- Knowledge of research, monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative.
- Demonstrable experience of producing high-quality, credible research/assessments (sample report of such is required).
- Evidence of experience in use of HRBA in programming.
- Experience of working in poor, rural communities of Nigeria.
- Understanding and experience of working with state and non-state actors (at all levels) and international organisations.
- Knowledge of local governance and poverty contextual issues (desirable).
- The individual’s or his/her organisation’s work responds to the needs and interests of poor and marginalised women, men, aged, people living with disabilities and other forms of diversity.
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments in the past.
- Should be available within one week of consultancy offer.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ActionAid’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of ActionAid.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Communication, interpersonal and professional skills required for collaboration with Government agencies as well as various stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize work and produce the required outputs in the given timeline.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity.
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- The consultant shall work from his/her place of business and in target states for the fieldwork using his/her own tools. A workstation will be made available to the consultant if required.
- Availability within one week of offer on contract.
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN for the purpose of this consultancy.
Ownership of Outputs:
- The expected outputs of the assignment – Participatory Reflection and Review process executive summary and detailed report shall belong to AAN.
Terms of Payment:
- ActionAid shall deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) for individuals and 10% for limited (LTD) and public companies (PLC), and remit to relevant authority. On the date payment becomes due and upon satisfactory completion of assignment and production of detailed report, the consultant will submit an invoice requesting payment and clearly stating his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN).
SHEA and Safeguarding:
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) and responding robustly when these harms take place in line with our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.
- The consultant will work closely with the Partnership and Local Rights Programme Manager while reporting to Head of Programmes. All documentation and resources developed will be submitted to same.
Application Closing Date
5th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply by sending a CV detailing competency electronically in one Ms Word file to: [email protected] using the specific subject line Participatory Reflection and Review Process of Local Rights Programme in FCT, Kogi and Kwara States.
Click Here for More Information
- Failure to adhere to instructions on submission could invalidate your application.
- Only the successful applicant will be contacted.