The Federal University Wukari is o of the new Universities established by the Federal Government of Nigeria as part of its commitment to expanding access to quality higher education, skills development and generation of new knowledge. The University is currently noted for its commitment to transforming into a world-class institution through the development of first rate infrastructure, human resources, quality teaching, learning, research and community service. Technology is at the centre of its plans.
The Governing Council of the University is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to apply to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
- The University Librarian is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day - day administration of the University Library.
- He is responsible for the coordination of the Library and Information Services in the University, its Colleges, Faculties, Schools, Departments, Institutes and other teaching or research units.
- The University Librarian is expected to demonstrate awareness of the central nature of Library & Information Services in the teaching, learning and research process and have the ability to instil in members of the University community, the principles of Information and Digital Literacy and commitment to life-long learning.
- The candidate must therefore be in position to provide leadership in the application of Information and Communications Technology in the delivery of quality higher education, research and community service.
- The candidate must also be able to improve on current developments in the University through national and international linkages. The candidate must be in good health and not older than sixty years of age on assumption of duty
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates for the position of the University Librarian must possess a good Honours Degree with a minimum of Second Class lower as well as Master's and Doctorate Degrees in Library or Information Science from a recognized University.
- The candidate must be a Principal Librarian with at least ten (10) years’ working experience in a Federal University Library.
- The candidate must possess experience of automation of Library Services. In addition to the academic and professional qualifications, the candidate must possess evidence of membership and registration with the Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN).
- A strong proof of continuing research with appreciable evidence of scholarly publications both in quality and quantum in reputable international and national journals is required.
- The candidate must possess good managerial skills and competencies including a clear understanding of the nature and dynamics of the intricacies in deploying information technologies as tools for the management of information collections in line with global best practices in contemporary University Libraries.
- Candidate is expected to exhibit strong team leadership and mentorship skills and able to inspire and motivate colleagues to support the vision for the development of the University Library.
- The candidate must be focused, innovative, commendable in both character and quality of service.
- The candidate must also exhibit a considerable degree of competence, responsiveness, demonstrable integrity and transparency on matters of financial resource management with an outstanding experience at management level.
- Candidates should provide a succinct vision statement of not more than 500 words relating to the University in the next five years with particular reference to the management of Library & Information Services.
Salary and Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a University Librarian of Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the University’s Governing Council as appropriate.
- The successful candidate for the position of University Librarian shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years from the effective date of appointment.
Application Closing Date
12th October. 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Application with thirty (30) copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae (should highlight the following in the order indicated below) along with the vision statement for the position:
- Full Name (surname first in capital letters and underlined)
- Place and Date of Birth
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Postal address
- Permanent Home Address
- State of origin and LGA
- E-mail and Contact Telephone Number(s)
- Schools attended with dates
- Qualifications obtained with dates ie Degree (s) (Including Dates / Class and Institutions) and / or any other qualifications and distinctions (Photocopies of certificates to be attached)
- Previous Employments (s) Position (s) Date (s)
- Membership of Professional bodies
- Statement of general and specific working experience with
- Present employment status, salary (Detail with work schedule)
- Conferences attended with dates
- Workshops attended with dates
- Courses / Leadership trainings attended with dates
- List of publications if any.
- Other activities outside current employment
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Countries visited
- Proposed date of availability for duties, if appointed.
- Names and addresses of three referees
- Each candidate should include the names and addresses of three referees. Applicants should request each of the referees to forward directly, to the Registrar & Secretary to Governing Council, a confidential report written on a letter-headed paper on the applicant’s character, academic and managerial abilities in a properly sealed envelope and marked, “Post of University Librarian; Referee’s report, with the name of the candidate at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
Applications are to be submitted under confidential cover with the envelope marked “Post of University Librarian" and addressed to:
The Registrar & Secretary to Governing Council,
Federal University Wukari,
200, Katsina-Ala Road,
Wukari - Taraba State,