The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 54 independent and equal countries. It is home to 2.4 billion people, and includes both advanced economies and developing countries. 32 of our members are small states, including many island nations.
Applications are invited for:
Job Title: Coordinator of the Commonwealth Youth Health Network (CYHN)
Duration: Twelve (12) months
Period: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021
- The Commonwealth Charter emphasises the importance of promoting health and well-being in combating communicable and non-communicable diseases. Achieving health for all will take a truly intergenerational effort which can and must be spearheaded by young people as the next generation of health leaders.
- The Commonwealth Youth Health Network (CYHN) is one of ten youth-led affiliated bodies, operating under the auspices of the Commonwealth Secretariat. It was created with the objective of advancing and actively engaging young people in achieving health for all.
- CYHN is searching for their next Coordinator to support its executive team for year 2020 - 2021. We are inviting applications from young and suitably qualified individuals who are passionate about promoting and improving health and well-being across the Commonwealth and an independent and reliable do-er who is able to manage and execute projects professionally.
Key Deliverables & Responsibility
- The main role of the CYHN Network Coordinator is to coordinate and support the work of the Network, and its Executive team across the Commonwealth, with a focus on both the administration and day to day running of the network.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the regular management of CYHN (administratively) and keeping up logistical arrangements of the network including supporting the Executive team and their initiatives in their region, arranging regular calls and overseeing monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Enhance Commonwealth youth participation in the health agenda by coordinating their engagement and facilitating increased visibility in policy discussion and meetings at the Commonwealth and United Nations level;
- Strengthening the global and regional presence of the network, including supporting external communications, awareness raising, and contributing to ongoing capacity building trainings for youth leaders in health across the Commonwealth – including providing guidance to the leadership team to understand their roles and ensure they are regularly engaged;
- Working closely with the Chair to contribute and coordinate engagements at high level meetings, in particular, the annual Commonwealth Health Ministers Meeting, the World Health Assembly, the Commonwealth Youth Minister’s Meeting and the Commonwealth Youth Forum;
- Identify new funding and partnerships to expand the reach of the network and support local action at country level;
- Support the strengthening of communication, partnerships and collaboration with the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC), Commonwealth Youth Networks, and other stakeholders as directed;
- Increase visibility, outreach, inclusion and membership of CYHN;
- Maintain frequent and consistent communication with the assigned staff(s) from the Commonwealth Secretariat managing the network, this includes ensuring regular updates of the network’s work and also sharing of opportunities and announcements to all members of the network.
- Be aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- Have a strong commitment to CYHN’s vision and mission;
- Have experience with youth-led initiatives, projects or organisations focused on health;
- Be available to commit 18 hours per week to network activities.
Compulsory & Desirable Skills
- The candidate should possess excellent administrative and people skills, ability to coordinate/support meetings, write publications, policy papers, support research and thematic policy areas.
Project Management & Implementation:
- The candidate should be able to commit the time required, at ~18 hours per week
- Possess project management/project delivery skills, support partnerships development, implementation track record, build stakeholders/network relationships & strategic planning
- Candidate should be able to demonstrate resourcefulness.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate his/her network in the relevant space
- The candidate should also to account and share for the skills to grow a community and network, beyond personal networks.
Compulsory Characteristic & Personality
- The candidate should demonstrate commitment and perseverance.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- The candidate should be able to show interest and past experience working in diverse teams and on diversity and inclusion matters.
- The candidate should be able to show exemplary people management skills, be able to build relationships and be the liaison between the commonwealth Secretariat and the Executive team of the Network.
- The candidate should be organised, diplomatic and emotionally intelligent.
- The selected candidates will work remotely and will receive a monthly stipend.
- A nominal honorarium will be provided for this role.
Application Closing Date
15th October, 2020 23:59 Hrs (BST).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
Do note that the form will require you to upload documents but not limited to the following:
- A cover letter outlining your experience
- 1 reference letter from a reputable and relevant referee
- Contact details to your reference.