The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer - Nutrition
Location: Takum and Sardauna LGAs, Taraba State
Reports to: Project Officer
Duration: 3 months Extendable
- Since the conflict in southern Cameroon began in October 2016, displaced persons cross the border into neighboring Nigeria in search of safety, stability and a better life. As of 31 October 2019, there are more than 46,000 Cameroonian refugees registered in Cross River, Benue, Taraba, and Akwa Ibom States in the south-eastern region of Nigeria.
- With support from UNHCR, Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) is implementing the project seeks to strengthen access and delivery of quality healthcare and nutrition services to 6000 Cameroon refugees and host communities in Taraba state of Nigeria.
- NRCS focus on strengthening the health care systems in refugees host communities in Takum and Sardauna LGAs of Taraba State through support to free delivery of healthcare to pregnant women, children under 5 years of age, the elderly (above 60years of age) and most vulnerable including but not limited to the disable and mentally ill. The project also support medical outreach and referral linkages of affected population to national free priority health interventions including but not limited to immunization, HIV care, and sexual and reproductive health in order to improve health outcomes.
- Responsible for promoting quality infant and young child feeding (IYCF) services at community and facility levels.
- He/She will engage in and will work with other team members in the delivery of optimal infant and young child feeding in emergency.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with PHC personnel to provide patient care, patient advocacy and planning of Lead and coordinate the facilitation of community IYCF support group activities
- Identify training needs and build technical capacity of IYCF Assistants, support group promoters, Community Nutrition mobilizers (CNMs), and Lead persons.
- Direct skilled IYCF support services including Growth Promotion and Monitoring at IYCF corners/spaces and other contact points
- Organize and participate in food demonstration sessions periodically
- Lead micronutrient supplementation including Micro-nutrient powder (MNP) distribution.
- Conduct regular focus group discussions with beneficiaries to assess barriers to optimal IYCF uptake
- Support the development of IYCF multimedia messages including radio jingle
- Ensure Gender mainstreaming in nutrition, and integration of other sectors
- Collaborate, campaign and build community awareness during IYCF celebration days.
- Support the development of case studies and success stories from program implementation.
- Develop network with other actors in the operational area as well as community leaders/representatives
- Engage in community dialogue, sensitize stakeholders/community on IYCF-E activities and specific humanitarian programs implemented by NRCS.
- Take monthly physical inventory of all nutrition supplies ensuring stock levels are accounted for and adequate.
- Support M & E unit during surveys, assessments, Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) including preparation andsubmissionoftimelyreports.
Qualifications / Experience
- BSc in Human Nutrition and diabetics or closely related fields with 1-3 years’ experience in humanitarian organization
- Must possess a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in a community-based setting
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of working in a PHC setting
- Demonstrate experience in management and supervision of outreach services
- Demonstrate experience working in a multi-cultural/religious setting.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the project sites is required
- Ability to respect and maintain medical secrets and confidentiality at all times
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
- High level of integrity
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in the local language.
- Excellent Advocacy skills
- Technical knowledge of reproductive health and modern contraceptive methods.
- Excellent report writing
- Coordination and team-building skills
- Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to multitask and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent MS Office skills (including Word, Excel, Power-point etc.)
Application Closing Date
16th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] with the Position applied for as the subject of the mail and candidates full name as the title of attachment.
Note: Only qualified candidates will be contacted.