Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Operations Manager - Nigeria Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement (SCALE) (Abuja, Nigeria)
Ref No: req10238
Duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension for additional four years.
Nigeria SCALE project is a USAID-funded 5-year project (Oct 08, 2020 – Oct 07, 2025), implemented by Palladium in collaboration with the local resource partners. The goal of the Nigeria SCALE project is to strengthen the financial, management and advocacy capacity of local civil society organizations (CSOs) and Business Membership Organizations (BMOs) in Nigeria to create a more accountable, transparent, peaceful, and democratic Nigeria with more effective and efficient public service delivery.
The SCALE project supports civil society organizations (CSOs) and business membership organizations (BMOs) across all of USAID/Nigeria’s programmatic sectors with a basket of managerial, business strengthening, and advocacy capacity-building interventions aimed at advancing Nigerian CSO sustainability combined with targeted grants to advance mutually agreed upon priorities. The project is designed to enhance local civil society organizations’ ability to be positive and responsible change agents in Nigeria.
The project has five main components: 1.) Component One - Improve CSO organizational capacity, 2.) Component Two - Enhance capacity for CSO advocacy, collaboration and management, 3.) Component Three - Improve the policy and regulatory environment for civil society, 4.) Component Four - Countering Trafficking in Persons (CTIP), and 5.) Component Five - Sector strengthening and advocacy.
Purpose of Position:
- The Finance and Operations Manager manages the day-to-day operational, financial, and logistical aspects of the project. Manages the hiring and onboarding of any project staff not already employed by Palladium. Finance and Operations Manager reports to the Director of Finance and Administration.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with USAID and corporate policies and regulations.
- Liaise with the home office’s operations teams to manage and troubleshoot project managerial issues as they arise.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for auditors, tax authorities, office landlord, and other external clients as may be required.
Budget, Accounting and Financial Management:
- Monitor vendor invoices and disburse payments with the proper internal controls.
- Submit field cash requests and manage cash flows in office in a timely manner.
- Maintain electronic accounting tracking mechanisms, in accordance with the Company’s accounting policies and procedures.
- Manage field finance and accounting.
- Reconcile project accounting and provide back-up documentation of all financial transactions into monthly accounting package for Company’s home office.
- Monitor and oversee project activity budgets for billing and expenses.
Human Resource Management:
- Ensure the project is in compliance with local labor laws, Company policies and code of conduct, and client requirements.
- Implement applicable company policies and procedures to recruit project staff.
- Monitor and manage staff employment agreements in consultation with the Chief of Party and Home Office.
- Ensure timely submission of timesheets, leave, and necessary approvals. Track used and accrued leave days.
- Manage employee payroll according to the project policies, statutory requirements for income taxation, social security and other contributions, medical care, insurance and other benefits. Ensure payroll is correctly calculated, with any authorized deductions, and that all salary and other remunerations are paid on time.
- As necessary, ensure registration of company and employees to relevant social security funds, tax office and other local authorities.
- Supervise and ensure work conditions are in conformity with regulatory and corporate requirements.
Operations and Office Management:
- Prepare field office operations manual in consultation with Home Office Operations Team and Chief of Party.
- Conduct procurements in compliance with government, client and corporate procurement policies and procedures, ensuring fair and open competition and proper documentation, and manage contracts and vendor agreements as required.
- Monitor and manage business travel for staff including review and processing of relevant travel authorizations, advance requests, expense reports, and logistical arrangements. Ensure travelers follow applicable travel policies. Track and reconcile advances with expense reports.
- Manage office space including processing of agreements for office space leases, utilities, and services. Oversee inventory management of office equipment and supplies, including updated asset register, and required insurance and maintenance.
- Backstop Grants Manager as may be required.
- MBA / Master's degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting with 6 years of relevant experience, or Bachelor’s Degree with at least 7 years of experience in Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field with an accounting certification (CPA).
- Prior project management experience, experience with USAID, or similar clients highly desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to multitask and motivate subordinates.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in communicating with clients and project stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain financial records and prepare financial reports.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and to undertake multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Strong analytical and computer skills.
- Proven record of consistently outperforming targets.
- Fluent in English and a local language
- Must be authorized to work in Nigeria