Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Protection and Inclusion Advisor - Nigeria Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement
Ref No: req10236
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 1 year, with possibility for extension for additional four years
Project Overview and Role
- Nigeria SCALE project is a USAID-funded 5-year project (Oct 08, 2020 - Oct 07, 2025), implemented by Palladium in collaboration with the local resource partners. The goal of the Nigeria SCALE project is to strengthen the financial, management and advocacy capacity of local civil society organizations (CSOs) and Business Membership Organizations (BMOs) in Nigeria to create a more accountable, transparent, peaceful, and democratic Nigeria with more effective and efficient public service delivery.
- The SCALE project supports civil society organizations (CSOs) and business membership organizations (BMOs) across all of USAID/Nigeria’s programmatic sectors with a basket of managerial, business strengthening, and advocacy capacity-building interventions aimed at advancing Nigerian CSO sustainability combined with targeted grants to advance mutually agreed upon priorities. The project is designed to enhance local civil society organizations’ ability to be positive and responsible change agents in Nigeria.
- The project has five main components: 1) Component One - Improve CSO organizational capacity, 2) Component Two - Enhance capacity for CSO advocacy, collaboration and management, 3) Component Three - Improve the policy and regulatory environment for civil society, 4) Component Four - Countering Trafficking in Persons (CTIP), and 5) Component Five - Sector strengthening and advocacy.
- The Social Protection and Inclusion Advisor provides oversight, technical guidance, and expertise to activities related to strengthening the capacity of CSOs to address vulnerable populations’ needs, including countering trafficking in person (CTIP), curbing sexual and gender based violence (SGBV) and early, and forced marriage (EFM), and promoting inclusion of persons with disabilities.
- The Social Protection and Inclusion Advisor works closely with sub-awardees and grantees to build their technical and relational capacity to holistically address vulnerable populations’ needs.
- The Social Protection and Inclusion Advisor provides oversight to activities carried out by grantees under components 4 and 5 of the SCALE project.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a project roadmap/action plan for achieving SCALE objectives related to CTIP, SGBV, EFM, and vulnerable populations.
- In consultation with USAID and the Advisory Committee, finalize the resource partners for social protection and inclusion activities, including CTIP, SGBV, EFM, and persons with disabilities.
- Design grant packages for CSOs to support capacity development, catalyze and sustain policy reforms, and improve service delivery across USAID priority sectors, with a focus on addressing vulnerable populations, including CTIP, SGBV, and EFM.
- Oversee and monitor implementation of the awards to selected CSOs on vulnerable populations, CTIP, SGBV, and EFM.
- Collaborate with project resource partners to strengthen the capacity of CSOs to conduct policy advocacy, improve service provision, enhance referral systems, and strengthen networking on issues related to CTIP, SGBV, EFM, and vulnerable populations.
- Supervise the project trafficking specialists and vulnerable population specialists to ensure that the project activities related to CTIP, SGBV, and EFM are designed and implemented according to the SCALE project objectives.
- Participate in annual work-planning processes, contributing technical leadership in the areas of CTIP, SGBV, EFM, and vulnerable populations.
- Provide assistance within the project team on integrating social protection and inclusion into project activities.
- Provide monthly, quarterly, annual reports and other reports as requested.
- Draft success stories and project highlights to reflect project achievements.
- Adhere strictly to the branding and marking policy of the project.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in International Affairs, Public Administration, Policy, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies or related field.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in CTIP, capacity development of local organizations, civil society engagement in CTIP; policy and regulatory reform around CTIP in Nigeria.
- Experience of working on issues affecting vulnerable population, including SGBV, EFM, and persons with disabilities.
- Experience working in gender, vulnerable populations (including persons with disabilities, youth, and women and children) and/or human rights.
- Strong technical expertise in organizational capacity assessments and developing capacity development plans.
- Prior experience of working with donor funded projects.
- Experience of engaging and working with senior leadership in government, civil society, private sector, and communities.
- Experience in multi-sectoral coordination and networking with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strategic ability, diplomacy, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, email, internet)
- Fluency in English and a local language.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that we cannot offer sponsorship for this position. In order to be considered for this role, all applicants must have the right to work and live in Nigeria permanently. Applications from individuals without the current right to work in Nigeria will not be considered.
- This position will be based in our Abuja office only. Applicants from outside Abuja are welcome but will need to relocate at their own expense as no relocation package is available.