The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant (British Red Cross)
Vacancy No: IFRC04674
Duration: 12 Months
Category of Staff: National Staff
Grade: Not applicable
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies.
- The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.”
- The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
- The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. The IFRC is led by its Secretary-General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services. The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
- The British Red Cross (BRC) opened an office in Abuja in January 2019. Focus of BRC activities are around strengthening the Nigeria Red Cross Society (NRCS) through capacity building and the development of a business plan for the commercial activities of the NRCS. Programmatically, the focus of BRC work in Nigeria is the implementation of a disaster management programme in the states of FCT, Imo and Lagos (others to be added as the programme progresses).
- Under the direct supervision and the guidance of the Head of Country Cluster, the Programme Assistant (Nigeria) will support the IFRC Country Cluster office in matters relating to National Society development, Programme Development and implementation, reporting, administration, and the overall organization of the office.
- While formally reporting to the Head of Country Cluster, he/ she will be operationally managed by the Country Manager, British Red Cross and the Programme Officer, British Red Cross.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
He/ she will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide support to issues related to the Development of the Nigeria Red Cross Society, including:
- Coordination with the National Society and other relevant RC/RC movement partners on the follow-up of the findings of the due diligence process to ensure that identified organizational weaknesses will be addressed
- Support in preparing for meetings related to National Society Development (review of documents, drafting of position papers)
- Support in accompanying the National Society in the process of operationalizing the NRCS country strategy
- Provide support to the setting up and supervision of an external entity in charge of selected commercial activities which previously were managed by the Nigerian Red Cross Society
- Support the BRC Programme Officer in planning, implementation and reporting related to the Disaster Management programme (and possibly additional programmes in future), as well as administrative management
- Prepare regular reports and organize records
- Provide support in the development of programme proposals
- Organize a filing system for important and confidential documents: - Policies and procedures - Financial documents - Programmatic and strategy related documents - Contracts and agreements
- Maintain the office calendar: - Keep an overview of relevant meetings and events - Maintain an overview of staff on visits to Nigeria
- Support in the procurement of items and services according to office procedures
- Follow up on other office services and maintenance when needed (plumbing, painting, etc)
- General office administration
- Adhere to the RC/ RC movement values
- Undertake other duties as are reasonably required.
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
- Bachelor's Degree in a field relevant for the position
- Work experience in assistant positions (not necessarily in the Red Cross)
- Work experience within a multi-cultural environment
- Working experience with Disaster Management programming
- Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of the Disaster Management Cycle
- Strong communication skills
- Computer Literate (especially excel, word, PowerPoint
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Initiative and flexibility Accuracy and attention to details.
Knowledge, Skills and Languages:
- Fluently spoken and written English.
Competencies and Values:
- National Society Relations
- Teamwork-interpersonal skills
- Integrity and personal conduct
- Initiative and direction.
Application Closing Date
16th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.