Secours Islamique France (SIF), founded in 1992, is a non-governmental organisation for international solidarity with a social and humanitarian mission With a presence in Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, Secours Islamique France assists the peoples through its emergency aid, development and orphan sponsorship programmes in over 30 countries wherever humanitarian and social needs exist, without regard to race, religion or gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WASH Engineer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with visits to project locations
Line Manager: Program Manager
Line Manager + 1: Head Of Mission
Technical Referent: SIF HQ
Duration of Contract: 6 months (Possible extension)
Expected Hiring Date: As soon as possible
- In Nigeria, SIF provides assistance for both urgent basic needs for those displaced by violence as well as longer-term support for returnees and IDPs in protracted displacement settings.
- Our current program includes NFI, WASH assistance and livelihoods support activities delivered in and out of IDP camps.
Role Within the Organization
- The Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Engineer is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs, for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes at all stages of the project management cycle.
- The WASH Engineer ensures the overall success of the program by making sure to complete the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the program is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
- The hierarchical link will be as follows:
- Head Of Mission
- Wash HQ Technical Advisor
- Program Manager
- Wash Engineer
Missions and Activities:
- SIF is seeking to recruit a highly motivated individual for the position of WASH Engineer to work in SIF Project sites.
- The tasks described in this job description are neither exhaustive nor limited. Due to the nature of the mission and the organization, the WASH ENGINEER may be requested to perform further tasks related to his/her responsibilities.
- The WASH Engineer is under the Program Managers’ responsibility for all operational aspects, he also works in close cooperation with all the team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with M&E, conduct needs assessments of the current situation in IDP Camps & Host communities for the aspects linked with WASH issue to draw future intervention;
- Designs Detailed BOQs and technical specifications for hardware component of SIF WASH Intervention.
- Give recommendations and participate in the writing of new WASH projects/proposal submissions;
- Coordinate closely with the support departments to prepare relevant budgets and provide specifications for possible procurement processes
- Ensure training, supervision and Management of projects field associates’ team and WASH Committee
- Monitor field activities, and regular collection of data and compile in weekly activity report and ensure timely submission to Program Manager
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the projects together with SIF M&E focal person
- Set up procedures for regular evaluation of WASH activities achievements and documentation of good practices and lessons learnt
- Provide data for monthly and end of projects report, and for the drafting of activities reporting to donors and SIF headquarters;
- Responsible for the design of hygiene awareness-raising and sanitation promotion strategy and responsible for implementation;
- Represent SIF to partners and stakeholders.
- Assure the technical support for all the activities of WASH programmes
- Ensure the respect and implementation of SIF SOPs procedures.
- Represent SIF in external coordination with local authorities, partners and cluster meetings;
- Ensure and facilitate the communication and information sharing within the team and the department, and contribute to the team responsibilities;
- Work in close collaboration with other departments.
- Undertake all other duties that may be determined by the Program Manager, Admin Co. and/or Head of Mission and that are compatible with the job.
- WatSan Technician Degree or related Technical qualification is required.
- Hygiene awareness-raising campaign implementation experiences,
- Excellent written and spoken English (essential),
- Must be an indigene of Borno State
- Understanding of Kanuri Language
- Consistent reporting skills is essential
- Experience supervising contractors is also an asset
- Excellent communication skills and flexibility,
- Knowledge of conceptual tools (e.g. logical framework) is an asset,
- Computer skills (Word, Excel),
- Organisation skills,
- Sense of responsibilities,
- Analysis and coordination skills,
- Good interpersonal skills,
- Ready to listen to people,
- Capacity to prioritize,
- Open-mindedness and common sense,
- Strong humanitarian motivation
- The position is based in Maiduguri with frequent visits to project locations
Application Closing Date
2nd February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application with an updated CV and Cover Letter (including 3 referees with their current official contacts) to: [email protected] using the "Job Title" as the subject of the email.
- Kindly please mention clearly in the e-mail, Cover Letter and CV your name as consecutive order: 1) First name; 2) Surname; 3) Other name.
- Mandatory: The email subject line should be marked: "WASH Engineer".