Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Data Officer
Contract: 12 month fixed term contract
Reports to: Country Technical Adviser, NTDs
Responsible for: Database for downstream partners under Ascend
Department: Finance and Performance
- The Data Officer is a member of the Country NTD technical team and will report to the Country Technical Adviser, NTDs. The Data Officer is will support downstream partners in data collection, analysis and reporting on the epidemiological and training, mass administration of medicine and maintenance of information technology for the FCDO Ascend project in Nigeria.
- The role will work closely with the Country Technical Adviser, NTDs and ensure the accuracy, validity, reliability, timeliness, relevance and completeness of the programme data.
Data Management (80% of time):
- Support the Country Technical Adviser NTDs to oversee data entry,validation, analysis and reporting on the epidemiological, social data and training, mass administration of medicine and maintenance of information technology.
- Support the downstream partners under Ascend in ensuring the collection of quality data by supporting, training, monitoring and supportive supervision and data review.
- Monitor treatment in the field and conduct periodic spot check to validate treatment report.
Dissemination of Reports (20% of time):
- Ensure the timely dissemination of reports including key performance indicators to the Country Technical Adviser NTDs to ensure timely production of programme reports.
The principal accountabilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee’s skill and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
The essential knowledge, skills and behaviours required:
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- Degree (or equivalent) in computer science, statistics, or related field
- Previous working experience, ideally in an INGO setting.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to deliver training session.
- Computer literacy including hands on experience in statistical packages.
- Experience in database management system for an integrated programme.
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Excellent financial and resource management skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to deliver group training sessions.
- Able to travel regularly on a national and international basis.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people.
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation.
- Change and improvement - Seeks continuous improvement in own and team’s performance. Assists and encourages others to adapt to change and implement new ideas.
- Communicating and influencing - Identifies the needs of others, uses effective approaches and styles to persuade and communicates to groups in an interesting and effective way.
- Decision making - Consults and listens to take clear and timely decisions.
- Planning and organisation - Develops plans considering all the resources necessary to achieve objectives. Monitors objectives and measurement systems on a regular basis, identifying trends and key messages in data.
- Delivery and implementation - Continue to perform objectives positively in the face of pressures from various sources. Ensure the team has a ‘can do’ attitude and customer service mentality.
- Team working - Encourages and supports team members to ensure contributions are recognised, delegates effectively and encourages working in collaboration.
Key Relationships (Internal):
- Country Technical Adviser, NTDs
- Programme Managers
- Programme Officers
- State Programme Team
- NTD Data team UK
- Deputy Country Director
Key Relationships (External) Project partners / NGOs
- State Partners/Ministries of Health.
- NTD communities in Nigeria.
Local Terms and Conditions apply
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information
- Please be aware that due to an expected high response to this role we may close the ability to submit applications before the above mentioned close date.
- Sightsavers works to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes, and where people with disabilities participate equally in society.