The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (IBM - Electricals / Solar)
SVN No. : CFCV2021.10
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: Immigration and Border Management
IOM Classification : Hourly
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- IOM Nigeria assists the Government of Nigeria in enhancing their capacity to perform immigration and border management duties in line with international standards and good practices through establishing a national data architecture and conducting various kinds of capacity building activities.
- Under the overall supervision of the Senior Program Manager in the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Unit and direct supervision of the IBM National Programme Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting and coordinating electrical and solar components of IBM projects including deployment of Solar Power Systems (SPS) to IOM’s Border Management Information System MIDAS (Migration Information and Data Analysis System) sites that require SPS at the county’s land, sea and air borders.
- The candidate is also expected to perform other programmatic tasks related to the projects and liaise with the project beneficiaries and key project stakeholders.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Participate in on-site field assessment of specific required needs and recommendations for SPS where required. The staff will assess the specific needs for each site to provide adequate solar electric power for computers and other IT systems to be installed at proposed locations. The systems set up will be designed for maximum power efficiency and will be minimalist in nature. The following technical issues will be among those addressed:
- Site orientation and recommendation on best kind, number and placement of solar power boreholes and solar power systems, inverters, and battery systems, earthing and wiring appendages.
- Power interface issues with other electrical power sources, ensuring their best integration with the solar sources while also ensuring full solar capacity to the borehole systems in the event of failure of alternate supplies.
- Appropriate considerations on the operation of the systems throughout the year, considering specifically extended rainy season performance issues.
- Recommended maintenance schedule and specifications for contracted maintenance services;
- Recommended key elements of a training regimen for on-site and off-site NIS personnel to maintain and adapt the system, apart from contracted maintenance obligations; and
- Other technical details that may be required to ensure the most appropriate, sustainable, and fully effective solar power systems at these sites.
- Responsible for the preparation of tender publication for the supply of solar equipment for installation at the proposed sites and participate in the bids’ evaluation process with the procurement team.
- Directly participate in assessment of solar power installation materials received from vendors to ascertain adherence or deviation to required specification and in providing any further technical clarifications with the selected vendor.
- Directly manage the installation of the Solar Power Systems at the proposed sites and managing the process on-site, bringing the system into full operation. Also carry out a comprehensive assessment of the electrical system, test installed inverter systems including the batteries and other accessories and advise accordingly.
- Provide trainings to NIS Training Focal Points and technical staff on Solar Power System maintenance and other related topics. This includes providing oversight to the craftsperson (carpenters, electricians, etc.) who will also be contracted by IOM to assist in the installation process. Development of an SoP on the active maintenance of the inverter system for optimal performance as well as other related equipment.
- Carry out maintenance work whenever such is required.
- Responsible for report preparation of the assessment for sites visited and installation report.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Electrical Electronics Engineering, Electricals, Physics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant working experience
- Sound knowledge of Nigeria, as well as experience in working with solar pumps and panels installations including electrical systems
- Understand building codes and complete installations in conformity with them
- Great ability to wire equipment into the power grid
- Extensive knowledge on proper mount installation
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Respect for diversity and professionalism.
- Excellent social and inter-cultural skills as well as good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret source information and data. Analytical thinker and an eye for details.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, empathy, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and organized.
- Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national / international institutions, and NGOs as an advantage.
- Proficiency in English. Knowledge of French an asset.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Application Closing Date
15th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position number on subject line.
Click here for more information (PDF)
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2021.10 Abuja, Nigeria Project Assistant (IBM - Electricals / Solar) - Immigration and Border Management (Hourly).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.