Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE) is a registered National NGO with CAC No: CAC/IT/NO 25643 and has been in operation for over 10 years. Our mission is to work with the poor and socially excluded people and government for the promotion of environmental and human rights protection in communities in Nigeria, aimed at poverty reduction through education, information sharing, research, training and direct impact interventions in the area of humanitarian emergency response and development. Currently, we have physical presence in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Abuja, Cross River, Akwa Ibom states.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer - Education in Emergency (EiE)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
- The purpose of this role is to support the Implementation of GREENCODE’s Education in Emergency (EiE) project in the North East.
- Collect and compile project data from the schools, project target groups/individuals, teachers and SBMC members based on the standard formats and submit regular reports capturing achievements, case studies and lessons learned to the Project Manager. Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports
- The person is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of education projects in the Northeast states of Nigeria where GREENCODE projects are implemented.
- The Education Officer provides both operations and technical assistance relating to Education in Emergencies projects.
- The job holder provides coordination and engagement with relevant Education stakeholders including; SUBEB, Local education Authorities (LEAs), and Ministry of Education.
- The job holder will also be working closely with community leaders, religious leaders as well as community member.
- The Job Holder will support the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the Education project. In addition, support the Education project team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the project; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the project as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
- Implement and monitor project activities in partnership with IDP communities, local government and other partners as approved project proposal.
- Support the capacity development of community volunteer teachers/facilitators for implementing EiE project in the assigned project communities and LGAs.
- Assure that relevant cross-cutting themes (child protection, gender, disability, and life skills) are integrated into theEiE project implementation at the project sites.
- Strengthen networking with organizations or agencies working on EiE and child protection in ensuring child-friendly learning centers at the project communities and LGAs.
- Identify and analyze education and child development gaps in the IDP project areas/sites and report to the immediate supervisor for consideration.
- Document best practices and challenges to generate materials for strategic direction of further implementations of EiE projects.
- Prepare and submit, activity, weekly, monthly, quarterly and progress reports/ updates of the projects to the EiE Project Manager and National Coordinator.
- Contribute to the development of new EiE project proposals by providing consistent data and other valid information from the field.
- Represent GREENCODE’s core values, mission, vision and strategy with project communities, local partners and local government.
- Carry out any other duties as instructed by the EiE Project Manager and National Coordinator
- Implement delegated portfolio of Education in Emergency project in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality.
- Ensure that procurement and distribution of materials and equipment is timely and in line with GREENCODE policies and procedures; ensure accuracy of portfolio inventory (assets, supplies, materials).
- Contribute to assessments (baseline, needs, market).
- Ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management.
- Facilitate relationships with communities and community leaders to ensure buy-in and Do No Harm.
- Supervise and manage the teachers, including facilitation of teacher training.
- Provide support on youth/adolescent programming, including, life skills, basic literacy/numeracy, and alternative/accelerated education.
- Support identification of needs, and development and facilitation of training programmes for teachers.
- Contribute to proposal and strategy development through input on needs/gaps.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line manager
Operational Planning and Implementation:
- Work closely with Project Manager and National Cordinator, to ensure planning of day-to-day implementation, update on spending, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for EDUCATION projects is done.
- Ensure timely implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the teachers and partners in proper service delivery are in line with EDUCATION Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realised in line with the funding proposals.
- Ensure that EDUCATION Projects implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & GREENCODE policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
Program and Financial Reporting:
- Contribute in the preparation of timely and high-quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- participate quarterly follow-ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and external engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree / HND in Education or Social Science. Experience in implementation of integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
- Experiences in working with government and other education partners at grass root level
- Knowledge on creating child-friendly learning environments/spaces for children learning.
- Knowledge and experiences on providing training and guidance on learner-centered instructional methodology to teachers and education supervisors
- Must be a able to speak and understand the local language especially Hausa, Kanuri.
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English language.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 3 years of accrued working experience in program implementation in an international or National NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: [email protected] and copy [email protected] with the position as subject of email addressed to the email address and also request for the Competency form.
- Only application submitted together with the completed competency form shall be review for shortlisting.
- Equal opportunities for female candidates to apply.