The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Malaria Specialist - Diagnostics
Ref Id: R663
Job Type: Full-time
- The Senior Malaria Specialist - Diagnostics will provide technical support and strategic direction for strengthening malaria laboratory practices (both microscopy and RDT).
- The Senior Malaria Specialist - Diagnostics will support the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of initiatives to improve and increase access to quality parasite-based diagnosis to improve quality of malaria case management, work with the Nigerian Federal/ State Ministries of Health and LGAs, work with other PMI-S project staff to improve quality of parasite based diagnosis and also increase access to malaria diagnostic testing.
Develop activity plans for malaria parasite-based diagnosis based on the annual work plan:
- Develop Terms of Reference (ToRs) for implementation of parasitological diagnosis of malaria across PMI-S supported states
- Develop concept notes for the implementation of diagnosis quality assurance system (Microscopy and mRDTS)
- Support the mapping and engagement of stakeholders for the development of framework for quality assurance.
- Support the establishment of quality assurance system across PMI-S supported states.
- Participate in program technical review activities at federal and state levels.
Serve as focal point for the implementation of parasitological based diagnosis of malaria:
- Support the Senior Malaria Technical Lead in rolling out activities on malaria diagnosis at the state
- Participate in the selection of short-term Technical Assistance/consultants for malaria diagnosis
- Review field reports on malaria diagnosis activities and make appropriate recommendations to the Senior Malaria Technical Advisor
- Technical support for roll-out of activities related to malaria diagnosis at National and state levels
- Support the development and roll out of mentoring and supportive supervision programs and External Quality Assurance (EQA) activities at all levels of the health system, and in each state as it relates to malaria diagnostics.
- Collaborate with Surveillance monitoring and Evaluation Team to collate data from diagnostic activities at the state level.
- Contribute to technical content of messages development by the Social Behavior Change (SBC) Partner to create demand for quality diagnosis and case management
- Attend technical meetings and represent the PMI-S project at federal level
Support the development of tools, SOPs and training materials for malaria diagnosis:
- Support processes for development and review of tools for malaria diagnosis at NMEP
- Participate in technical meetings and workshops hosted by NMEP and Roll Back Malaria (RBM) partnership to improve malaria parasite diagnosis
- Review and make inputs into technical documents developed to improve malaria diagnosis and case management
- Participate in development and updating of training materials on malaria diagnosis
- Support for any malaria diagnostics Implementation Research conducted by NMEP and partners
- Design and pretest tools for malaria diagnosis (Microscopy & mRDTs) quality assurance activities.
- Facilitate training on parasite-based diagnosis at all levels of implementation.
- Possesses a minimum qualification of AIMLS, FIMLS, and BMLS. A postgraduate qualification in relevant health area is an added advantage.
- Must possess a good knowledge of operation of Nigerian Laboratory service system and the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN);, a highly-skilled Medical Laboratory scientist will be a preferred option.
- Minimum of 5 years’ of progressively increasing responsibility in malaria control programming related to diagnostics.
- Excellent understanding of technical considerations guiding recommendations on policies and principle in malaria training /certification system for malaria microscopy.
- Knowledge and experience in laboratory capacity building, monitoring and supervision including the ability to plan and conduct trainings in malaria diagnostic (RDT and microscopy)
- Technical expertise in supporting malaria diagnosis quality assurance system at the federal and state levels in Nigeria, in collaboration with State Malaria Elimination Programs and implementing partners.
- Demonstrable excellent report writing and facilitation skills.
Specific Knowledge Requirements:
- Demonstrable knowledge of strategic planning for malaria laboratory services in Nigeria.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee a number of ongoing activities.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Familiarity with standard operating procedures in the malaria laboratory services in Nigeria
- Must demonstrate expertise in microscopy and mRDT skills
- Good understanding of the essential package of health and laboratory services needed at each level of the health system to facilitate implementation of malaria diagnostic package.
- Proficient personal and team organizational skills and demonstrated competence in assessing priorities and in managing a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment, and in meeting deadlines with attention to detail and quality is a must.
Application Closing Date