The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: GSO Assistant
Announcement Number: Abuja-2021-006RA
Series / Grade: LE - 0101 9
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-9
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM - FP is 5/1. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C. All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and / or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The incumbent serves as the principal Specialist to the Supervisory General Services Officer (S/GSO) and two General Services Officers (GSO) and is responsible for the support oversight, work guidance and coordination of the GSO sub sections which include Housing/Real Estate, Motor pool, Travel, Property Management, Acquisitions/Procurement, and Customs and Shipping, and other sections and offices within Management and Mission Nigeria (Abuja and Lagos).
- Serves as the Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for the Mission’s petroleum products contracts of approximately 2 million liters annually, (over $3.9 million) and the Photocopier Service contract of over $500,000.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Five years experience in managing administration, finance & accounting, personnel and/or Logistics is required.
- Knowledge of customs and working practices (e.g. bargaining practices, cultivating relationships with government and private sector contacts) as well as general structure of administrative offices, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Customs is required.
- Bachelor's Degree is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Language: Fluency in Speaking/Reading English.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have good keyboarding skills with emphasis on accuracy, as well as the ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills including ability to work with others under stressful circumstances.
- Must be customer service oriented and be able to proactively solve problems independently by taking initiative.
- Must be able to persuade and influence others inside and outside the formal chain of command.
- Must be able to effectively manage projects and plan meetings.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- N10,908,677; $47,148 annually.
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a public trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement.
- If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section 09-461-4000, [email protected]