Nigerdock is a leading Nigerian maritime group with operations in port terminal services, ship repairs and EPC fabrication. The company is located at Snake Island Integrated Free Zone in the main port of Lagos and serves customers in the shipping, logistics, marine and energy sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Commercial Manager - Shipyard
Reporting To: Operations Director
Personnel reporting directly to this role: All Commercial Personnel – Ship Repair
- Key person for communication & dissemination regarding the financial implications of the project.
- This is the Interface with the client on all commercial matters from start to finish.
- This position will require in depth knowledge of clients in the area and understanding the clients business and clients goals – especially where we can assist them in achieving them.
- Ensure a timely response to all client’s enquiries – 1st point of contact, to create the programme of work for production from agreed contracts and to organize the initial work packages and its dissemination.
- Managing the Shipyard bidding process and procedures including all quotations at all stages.
- Ensure vessel specifications are complete to ensure that the quotation is commercially / technically sound.
- Discuss the work required to be performed by a range of Subcontractors and issue “legally risk free” work orders to them.
- Ensure that an effective “Risk Control” is in place and reviewed for applicability to each contract (Insurance / T & C’s / Liability etc.)
- Ensure the “work done list” is agreed with the client so that the invoice can be raised.
- Raise invoices and follow through to ensure timely settlement, chasing clients where necessary.
- Oversee all commercial contracts with major clients / JV’s to ensure Legal Consistency and liability coverage as well as Nigerdock input and controls and actions – for Nigerdock profit.
- Oversee all commercial contracts placed on “Professional Service Co.” which are to be used by Shipyard. To ensure that the maximum cost/values are identified and liabilities clarified.
- Identify competitor activity in the region – which would include contracts / rates / clients.
- Build a Database of existing clients with all contact / vessel information – likewise for potential clients operating in the region but not as yet using Nigerdock.
- Bringing outstanding items / issues to Management notice in a timely manner.
- Ensuring all 3rd party charges have been included in the final invoice such as (SIMCO / Medical / Transport).
- Taking the lead in the periodic reviews of Nigerdock Tariffs
- Ensuring all client concerns / complaints are brought to Management attention immediately.
- To act on own initiative in order to improve the process or projects and inform Management of any suggestions for consideration.
- Attend Periodic Safety meetings as part of Shipyard staff.
- Attend weekly Safety meetings and regular inspections of the Shipyard to ensure all workforce complies with any and all updates in the Safety process.
- Complete various “Internal Projects” assigned to them in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Report unsafe acts / instances requiring discipline to Management without delay.
- Understanding and following the agreed goals and annual targets for the position.
- Minimum of 10 years experience as a shipyard manager or other management level responsibilities in a heavy steel manufacturing environment, Oil & Gas background.
- In-depth knowledge of all business functions associated with shipyard management
- Ability to use spreadsheets, databases, word processing and PowerPoint,
- A strong client facing background with previous experience of dealing and presenting information to major clients on large projects.
- Ability to apply Continuous Improvement strategies across all functions, which includes the ability to introduce needed change, create excitement for change and lead change initiatives. Must be adaptable and open to new ideas.
- Ability to successfully handle several priorities simultaneously.
Application Closing Date