The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Livelihoods and Food Security Officer
Job Identification: 1054
Location: Jos, Plateau
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Livelihood and Food Security
Level: Grade Level 5 Step 1 (Nigerian National)
Reports to: Livelihoods and Food Security Coordinator
Travel: 70% (with travel to LGA's project)
Project Number: NGFM2022
Commencement: 1st May, 2021
Duration and type of contract: 12 months
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Yola Area Office, Field Offices in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The food security program includes wider livelihoods complex responses, which recognizes that conflict and violence have affected people livelihoods, coping capacities while insecurity and tension has further worsened their vulnerabilities. The provision of support in form of resources and income opportunities will address the financial needs of conflict-affected families and can thereby improve the purchasing power for productive assets, food, and NFIs vital for maintaining good health and peaceful coexistence among different individuals. This combined with agriculture and food production is expected to mature further peaceful relationship among conflict communities in return this will supplement sources of income, and food diversity and therefore reduce food costs whilst protecting households from risky coping mechanisms.
- NRC is looking for a Livelihoods and Food Security Officer for our Jos - Plateau State Office in east-central Nigeria. The purpose of the Livelihoods and Food Security Officer position is to day-to-day implementation of the food security project.
- The Livelihoods and Food Security Officer reports to the Livelihoods and Food Security Coordinator - Jos. (This position is open to Nigerian nationals)
Generic Responsibilities (max 10)
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure that project implementation targets beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Ensure that procurement development and distribution of project materials and equipment are timely and accordance with procedures.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about NRC activities and policy
- Explore and facilitate introduction of new technology, method and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Coordinate the food security and livelihoods activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans.
- Provision of the annual operational plans into monthly and quarterly implementation plans.
- Coordinate with relevant partners working in the same implementation area and to avoid overlaps.
- Supervise, train and develop team of LFS Technical Assistants.
- Conduct livelihood assessment to determine most viable income generating activities, crop and livestock farming, value chain addition and cash for work activities
- Responsible for coordinating with key stakeholders and registration of project beneficiaries.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and partners in training of project beneficiaries.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and project planning: livelihoods and Food Security Coordinator
- Area Operations: Finance officer, Logistics officer, Security officer, Protection officer
Scale and Scope of Position
- Staff: Livelihoods and Food Security Assistants
- Stakeholders: Local community head, traditional and religious leaders.
- Budgets: None
- Information: GORS, Aggressor, Intranet
- Legal or compliance: NRC terms of employment, NRC Security policy, NRC Code of Conduct.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- B.Sc, HND in Agronomy, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension, Crop Science or related field
- Experience working as an Agricultural Extension Agent.
- Minimum of 3-year working experience in a related position.
- Work experience from the plateau context preferred
- Experience working as in livelihood and food Security humanitarian/recovery context.
- Proven experience in implementing agricultural support programs, income generation activities, Cash for work program and livestock production and management
- Good understanding of climate smart agriculture (CSA)
- Experience of implementing cash/voucher transfers, farming inputs distribution and monitoring of agricultural activities.
- Experience and understanding of Selection, planning and management (SPM) of income Generation Activities (IGAs) both farm and off farm
- Experience in beneficiary Skills training and distribution of conditional cash grants or small business start-up kits.
- Experiment from working in complex and volatile context.
- Able to speak fluent Hausa and English languages
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Ensure proper archiving/filling of project documents
- Highest standard of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Good communication skills
- Ability to speak one additional local language preferred.
- Candidates from Plateau State preferred,
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery and or development context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good command and spoken English.
Behavioral Competencies (max 6)
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework.
Application Closing Date
1:00 AM: 22nd March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.