The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) - An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Driver
Post Number: 0130915
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition: General Service
Grade Level: G-3
Duration: Fixed term: one year with possibility of extension
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Nigeria which is headed by an FAO Representative assists the governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The country also supports humanitarian responses in the North East of Nigeria in order to increase the resilience of livelihoods to food and agriculture threats and crises.
- The Senior Driver is responsible for driving Country Office Staff of FAO Representations and visitors.
- He / she also provides other transportation related and messenger services for the Country Office Staff of FAO Representations.
Supervision Received / Exercised
- The incumbent works under the general supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the functional supervisor.
- In his / her function as Senior Driver for the relevant Office, the incumbent is in regular contact with national and international visitors, including high ranking officials from the Government and other (UN) Agencies, with project managers, consultants and other personnel from within and outside the Organization.
- He / she is often the first point of contact for people from outside the country office. He / she interacts on a day-to-day basis with personnel and officials from local offices and service providers.
Key Functions / Results
- Drive for the Head of Office and his / her visitors, including high-ranking officials from within and outside the Organization. As necessary also drive for other staff of FAO Representations.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport; facilitate immigration, customs formalities, hotel check-in, and other local formalities.
- Ensures that the local transportation needs of the FAO Representative are met at all times and ensures the safety, technical soundness and comfort of the vehicle(s).Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, transportation / vehicle related expenditures, vehicle servicing, repairs, etc.
- Assist the administrative staff in regular monitoring of the log books and maintenance records.
- Ensure day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s); check oil, water, battery, tires, etc.; perform minor repairs and timely arrange for any other repairs necessary to keep the vehicle safe and technically sound at all times; maintain the vehicle(s) in clean condition.
- Handle local and organizational formalities when involved in an accident; ensure that in this case all organizational and local / country rules, regulations and procedures are followed correctly.
- Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications / items from and to the country office; go to the post office, airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required.
- Assist the Country Office in performing simple clerical duties such as making and answering telephone calls, making photocopies, keeping records, etc.
- Brief and train the junior driver in all the above duties and responsibilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Impact of Work
- The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of the immediate work unit's programme.
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Education: Secondary school education. Possession of valid driver's license
- Experience: Four years of work experience as a driver. Flawless, safe driving record
- Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of the local driving rules and regulations; skills in minor vehicle repair.
- A high degree of punctuality and reliability is required.
- Safe driving manner. Good sense of direction and knowledge of local conditions.
- Ability to cope with extended working hours
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- Possession of trade test certificate issued by the local authority
- Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
Application Closing Date
10th May, 2021; 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- The length of the appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to extension of appointments
- Selected candidates need to reside within commuting distance from the FAO office. "Commuting distance" means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
- No international benefits will be payable as selected candidates are recruited locally and paid in the local currency of the office location
- Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice
- Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
- People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality