Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of poverty.Cofounded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited.In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: English to Hausa Language Translation Consultant
Location: Bauchi and Sokoto States
Project Title: USAID Advancing Nutrition
Type of Contract: Individual Contractor (IC)
Contract Duration: 30 working days
USAID Advancing Nutrition is the Agency’s flagship multi-sectoral nutrition project, led byJSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners.Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement, and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change, and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity, and advance development. In Nigeria, the project aims to meet the following objectives;
Objectives of the Project
- Objective 1: Strengthen multi-sectoral linkages and coordination through technical assistance to the Government of Nigeria, the Mission, and implementing partners
- Objective 2: Support the Government of Nigeria to strengthen wasting prevention and treatment services
- Objective 3: Generate evidence and test innovative approaches to improve nutrition programming and inform future designs.
Scope of Work and Deliverables
- To achieve effective measures in preventing and managing malnutrition, it became necessary to develop a food recipe book that contains locally-available, culturally acceptable, and age-appropriate supplementary food that will not only prevent malnutrition in children but also serve as an alternative to the conventional treatment of malnutrition.
- The Sokoto and Bauchi States’ Committees for Food and Nutrition and other relevant Stakeholders from various MDAs and implementing Partners developed a comprehensive food recipe book for the prevention and management of malnutrition using locally available food sources. These recipe books are used in food demonstrations and other dietary diversity promotion activities. One feedbacks from their use is the need to translate them to the local language to facilitate high comprehension and learning.
- To this end, the USAID Advancing Nutrition project is seeking to engage the services of a Translation Consultant that will translate the above-mentioned local food recipe book from English to Hausa language and develop appropriate picture book (image block) from the recipe book.
- To engage a qualified and professional translator, on a consultancy basis, that will translate a local food recipe book document from English to the Hausa language.
- Translated recipe book from English to Hausa language.
- Develop and pretest a picture book (image block) for use as Strategic behavior change materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the State Coordinator, Multisectoral Nutrition Specialists, MICYN Advisor- USAID Advancing Nutrition, and in close collaboration with the State Nutrition Stakeholders in Sokoto and Bauchi States, the Translator shall work on:
- English to Hausa language translation of the local recipe book.
- Extraction and development of a picture book in the Hausa language with one recipe per page; that can be used for food demonstration to promote dietary diversity in the communities and health facilities.
- Dissemination and validation workshop.
The Individual consultant is expected to accomplish the activity with the corresponding deliverables:
Estimated Duration to Complete
Target Due Dates
Review and Approvals Required
English to Hausa language translation of the food recipe book.
Development of recipe picture book
State Coordinator, Multisectoral Nutrition Specialists, Nutrition-sensitive Agriculture Program Officer and MICYN Advisor.
Note: All outputs shall be submitted with raw/editable files.
- The Consultant shall report to and collaborate closely with the State Coordinator, Nutrition-sensitive Agriculture Program Officer, Multisectoral Nutrition Coordination Specialist and MICYN Advisor to achieve the intended results.
- USAID Advancing Nutrition shall be entitled to intellectual property and other proprietary rights over all materials that have direct relation to the project.
- The Consultant is expected to have their own equipment, office space, and internet connectivity. Coordination/meetings shall be done through phone call or online platforms.
- USAID Advancing Nutrition will not provide a workstation, administrative support, transportation or ICT equipment for the Consultant.
- Fees will be paid based on agreed deliverables for an all-inclusive rate including but not limited to insurance, allowance, overhead, lodging, miscellaneous costs etc. All quotations and costings should be in Naira.
Duration of Assignment, Duty Station and Travel:
- The Consultant will be engaged for 30 working non-consecutive working days through July and August 2022 unless revised in a mutually agreed timetable by USAID Advancing Nutrition. In which case changes in the duration of the contract will be implemented through the issuance of a contract amendment.
- Travels required: Yes.
Criteria / Max points
The applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevant University Degree in Development Communication, Communication Arts, and other related courses. /28
- Minimum of three years of work experience in translation from English to Hausa language and dialects. / 21
- Minimum of three years of work experience in the Development sector. /21
- Totle: 70 points
Required Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the USAID mission, vision, values, and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- The ideal candidate should have exposure to USAID reporting patterns. Understanding the style that USAID requires for submissions is important.
- Possesses expert communication skills in speaking, writing, reading and listening Hausa language.
- Shows proven experience in the area of translation, specifically from English to Hausa. Samples of previous translations are requested as part of the application process.
- Excellent drafting and editing skills. The translator should be able to craft stronger language in Hausa from the inputs the team submits outside the recipe book. This consultancy is not only focused on language translation, but also on editing and formulating text in Hausa that creates a well-written and coherent flow in Hausa, focusing on the substantive content.
- Demonstrates capacity to plan, organize, and execute effectively.
- The initiative, good analytical skills, mature judgment, and ability to work under tight schedule while respecting deadlines achievement, ethics, and honesty.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a team environment and to deal with a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- Good ability to use information and communication technologies as tools and resources such as MS Office packages will be an added advantage.
Deliverable / Target Due Date / Percent Of Fee
- English to Hausa language translation of food recipe book. / 15/08/2022 / 100%
- Development of food recipe picture book in Hausa language. / 15/08/2022 / 100%
The following documents are requested:
- Duly accomplishedLetter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability.
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidates.
- At least two (2) relevant sample works.
- Financial Proposalthat indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs.
Criteria for Selection of Best Offer:
- Assessment of best offer will be via combined scoring method- where the qualifications will be weighted a maximum of 70% and combined with price offer which will be weighted a maximum of 30%.