The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Cook
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National
Contract: 3-year renewable contract
- Assist kitchen team particularly the short order section and ensure all preparation operating procedures and dish plating are followed.
- Manage food and product ordering by keeping detailed records, minimize waste and work with existing systems to improve waste reduction.
- Assists the Head Chef with menu creation, resolve problems, great food preparation and service, address and correct bad practices where need be.
- Compile weekly rosters and ensure efficient and effective use of resources.
- Ensure the recording and disposal of damaged or out of date products accordingly and ensure the safe disposal of all refuse from the kitchen.
- Work with the Food and Beverage manager and supervisor to ensure appropriate planning and preparation for seasons and events.
- Allocate and support staff throughout the shift to maintain speed of food preparation and cleanliness of the kitchen.
- Ensure all end of day jobs are completed to a high standard, staff are signed off promptly, all back of house areas checked are secured and venues are in excellent order for the next day’s job.
- Ensure high standards of health and safety are always maintained.
- Identify problems as they arise, resolve them where possible and appropriate, and report them when necessary.
- Assist with managing business events as and when required to meet the demands and nature of the business.
- Perform continual awareness of the events diary daily and escalate any issues or discrepancies requiring resolution to the Food and Beverage manager.
- Ensure all equipment and cooking utensils are in excellent condition.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- National diploma certificate in Hospitality and Management, Food Science and Technology or any other related field with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing a similar or related role in a well-structured organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have very pleasant personality and strong leadership skills.
- Have good communication skills (writing, reading, and speaking).
- Be a good team player and should be able to work under pressure.
We offer highly competitive salaries with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
8th December, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Interested applicants should complete the online application by attaching a detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague, and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.