The University of Calabar came into being in 1973 as a Campus of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, In 1975, it became a full-fledged University with the mandate of disseminating knowledge through Teaching and Learning, Research and Community Service. The University is also empowered to propagate the advancement of knowledge in all areas of human endeavour without discrimination of race, creed, sex, political or religious affiliation.
The University has since then continued to encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and all human endeavours relating its activities to the social, cultural and economic needs of the people of Nigeria and to undertake other activities which are appropriate for a University of the highest standard.
The Governing Council of the University of Calabar has declared a vacancy for the position of Vice- Chancellor in the University with effect from 1 December, 2O15 In accordance with the provisions of the University (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No.11 of 1993 (as amended), the Council has commenced the process of filling the vacancy below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
The candidate for the cost of Vice-Chancellor is expected to:
Vision for the University
- Be an acclaimed scholar who is a Professor of very high repute and must have published in academic journals that are both of National and International repute.
- Have had a wide range of academic and administrative experience.
- Be on the rank of a professor for at least 7 years.
- provide administrative leadership to a well- informed and articulate local academic community;
- be a fair-minded and dynamic individual with a reputation that is impeccable in his dealings with people of all levels;
- possess requisite and relevant managerial experience to be able to provide leadership to the University;
- Enjoy certified excellent medical and mental health;
- Be a person of proven probity and integrity;
- Be a well exposed and informed person possessing skills in communication technology, appreciating the consequences of ICT in the contemporary knowledge industry
- Be a tested and excellent manager of resoarces.
- Must not be more than 65 years of age on 1st December, 2015.
Conditions of Service
- A statement of the candidate's vision for the University during his/her tenure, if appointed, should also be enclosed.
Application Closing Date
- A Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of 5 years.
- The remunerations and other conditions of service shall be as applicable in Nigerian federal Universities and or as may be approved by the governing Council of the University from time to time.
24th August, 2015.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit 30 copies of their applications with detailed curriculum vitae duly signed and dated by the candidates with the most recent passport sized photographs attached to each. The sealed envelopes should be marked on the top right hand corner "VICE CHANCELLORSHIP POSITION"
The curriculum vitae should among others Indicate:
- Full names
- Date of Birth/Age
- Marital Status
- Academic Qualifications
- Publications, and
- Administrative Experience
Each application should bear the names and addresses of three referees. Each referee should be requested by the applicant to forward directly to the Registrar, a confidential report in sealed envelope marked "Referee's Report for applicant to the position of Vice- Chancellor" at top left hand corner of the envelope.
All applications are to be forwarded to:
University of Calabar
P.M.B. 1115, Calabar,
Cross River State.
Such applications are to reach the Registrar not later than the closing date above.
Only shortlisted candidates will br invited for interview.