Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization with nearly 2,500 people from over 74 nationalities working in over 40 countries. Our mission: Saving lives and improving the health of the world's poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Director, Health Sector Strengthening (HSS)
Job ID: 13-8411
Reports to: Chief of Party
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia and Medford, Massachusetts US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. MSH is seeking highly qualified candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID funded malaria program in Nigeria. This program will strengthen delivery of malaria case management: delivery of quality services for management of malaria and its complications, prevention of malaria in pregnancy, and integrated community case management.
Availability of the position is contingent upon issuance of a USAID funding mechanism, and selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval. Preference will be given to candidates with relevant experience in Nigeria. Specific Responsibilities
- Leads the design and implementation of the project’s health sector strengthening interventions focused on the State Governments, Local Government Areas, Ward Development Council and local NGOs and Civil Society Organizations participating in the project.
- HSS topics will include: human resource management (pre-service and in-service training, supportive supervision; selection, deployment and motivation of providers and managers) supply chain management, leadership and governance, program and financial planning and reporting, inter-institutional coordination, health information systems and/or fundraising.
- Coordinate the HSS expertise of MSH and of its sub-contractors, which will include international, national and local organizations so that the project’s HSS interventions are designed and implemented as a single package which includes the best expertise of MSH and each of its sub-contractors.
- Link with HSS counterparts in government and international development agencies and NGOs to coordinate and leverage the project’s HSS interventions.
- Contribute to strengthening MSH presence in Nigeria
Application Closing Date
- Master's degree in Public Health or related area.
- Minimum of 7 years of successful experience as senior-level HSS expert in health projects of equivalent size and complexity, funded by USAID or by other international donors.
- This HSS experience must include both government institutions and civil society organizations and must include at least four of the following HSS topics:
- Human resource management,
- Supply chain management,
- Leadership and governance,
- Program and financial planning and
- Reporting, inter-institutional coordination and health information systems and/or fundraising.
- Prior working experience in health programs in Nigeria.
- Successful experience leading HSS staff and consultants within a consortium of international and local sub-contractors to achieve measurable results within a technically complex and integrated health program.
- Successful experience in engaging HSS representatives of the host country government, civil society organizations, international development organizations and NGOs to support project implementation and/or to provide complementary resources to the project.
- Successful experience in sharing knowledge, documenting experience, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make timely effective decisions
- Willingness to travel within project areas as needed.
- Excellent written communication in English is required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should
Click here to apply online