IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position of:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- Assist in the collection of Agronomic field data;
- Assist in cutting, packaging and deliver cassava stems to partners for multiplication/production;
- Monitor multiplication and production farms in project states;
- Assist in carrying out short experiments and surveys in targets states;
- Support partners technically to implement project activities and ensure project farmers employ best agronomic practices;
- Provide support to the seed system specialist in identifying, facilitating and training of commercial farmers on best agronomic practices;
- Standardize and train vitamin A Cassava bulking agents/stem merchants on stem cutting and packaging for sales and distribution;
- Support the establishment of Vitamin A Cassava Point of Sales to guarantee markets for investors and increase access to planting materials;
- Support partners and commercial farmers to ensure sustained availability of Vitamin A cassava stems and tuber;
- Provide data and information on agronomic issues on vitamin A cassava to facilitate the production of guidelines and reference materials to farmers/investors
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification & Experience:
- B.Sc/HND in Plant Breeding, Agronomy or related field with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in related field.
Skills and competence:
- Be able to follow instructions and work independently where necessary.
- Have good organizational skills and demonstrate ability to work under pressure.
- Be available to work outside office hours and for extended hours when necessary.
- Display high energy level.
- Agree to intensive travel.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or applicant's direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information