United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Project Officer - Outreach and Communications UNODC
Post Level: SB-4
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Duration of Initial Contract: One year, renewable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position is with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Nigeria (CONIG).
- The Outreach and Communication Officer will work on this project for 50 percent of their time.
- The rest of the time s/he will work for another project in UNODC.
- For the time s/he will work under this project, s/he will be responsible for all communication and outreach activities that will be undertaken by the project.
- In this regard, s/he will report directly to the Project Coordinator.
- S/he will work in close teaming with other project personnel, create synergy, and ensure that s/he captures the communication and outreach opportunities for all activities under the project in line with the overall requirements of the project and for implementing the EC visibility plan under the project.
- The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and overall guidance of the UNODC Representative.
Required Skills and Experience
- Generally lead, provide advice, develop, and support implementation of a communication and outreach plan for the project
- In close teaming with other team members and stakeholders, develop and ensure timely implementation of a workplan on communication and outreach that ensures full consonance with the EC visibility guidelines and plan
- Oversee the development of appropriate communication and outreach materials, such as various publications, posters, banners, flyers, fabrics, T-Shirts, brochures, amongst others;
- Direct and support the creation of communication outlets for the project, such as a website, Facebook page, twitter, etc.
- Create appropriate links between the various communication means, including with project partners and national counterparts, as appropriate;
- Explore and identify opportunities available to strengthen EC’s visibility and UNODC’s role and profile in Nigeria as executing agency of the project;
- Take appropriate and pre-emptive action to avoid negative publicity on project activities;
- Manage and advice UNODC and the project leadership on potential problems and communication issues;
- Organize regular press briefings, press releases and interviews to communicate the role of EC and UNODC as partners in Nigeria's anti-corruption/justice sector reform efforts;
- Engage with electronic and print media (e.g. to explore the possibility of using radio/TV shows to enhance project/EC visibility);
- Compile a database various interlocutors and stakeholders, including from the media;
- Develop a list of worthy members of the press and maintain good relationship with them;
- Keep abreast of news reports about the project and related matters;
- Share and respond to requests for information and assistance on the project.
- Advanced university Degree (Master's degree) in Communications/ Journalism/ Development Studies/law or related fields.
- At least 2 years overall experience in communications and/or public relations/journalism/law; preferably some experience with public information campaigns;
- Understanding of development issues, in particular in UNODC areas of focus, such as crime, drugs, anti money laundering, judicial reform and good governance in general;
- Experience of or familiarity with the United Nations and the European Union a distinct asset;
- Other Skills: Up-to-date knowledge and practical experience of working with EU and/or UN visibility and communication guidelines;
- Has computer skills and use of relevant software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches for communicating across different constituencies, demonstrated ability to communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism;
- Good knowledge of the anti-corruption ability to conceptualize and analyze issues and data; strong IT skills communication;
- Ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues; shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Proven ability to communicate across a myriad of audience and to match the message to the particular audience; can prepare a range of communiqués, including press releases and packages, conference and meeting reports, newsletters, talking points amongst others;
- Ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and articulating clearly as well as defending organizational positions;
- Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills with proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to match style and format to audience.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services;
- Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”;
- Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession;
- Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally;
- Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates;
- Shows willingness to learn from others;
- Seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office;
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks;
- Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Application Closing Date
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
25th February 2016.
2nd May, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online