KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the second most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.
We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lagos Inventory Study - Senior Information Technology/Data Manager
Job Duration: 7 months (100% FTE)
Reports to: Dr. Adebukola Agnes Adegbola (Line Manager), Ellen Mitchell (technical)
- KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries.
- We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH.
- The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
- Study Description: In the past 10 years, inventory studies have been implemented in the Netherlands, the UK, French Guiana, Egypt, Yemen, and Iraq.
- Inventory studies can help to plan and implement strategies to better engage the private sector in TB care.
- Lagos has a dynamic private health sector which plays an important role in TB diagnosis and treatment.
- The sector has not been sufficiently enticed to contribute consistently to the notification of TB cases as required by law.
- A study is planned to identify the magnitude of under-reporting in both the public and private sectors, and to identify effective strategies to catalyze timely notification.
- To verify the accuracy public and private sampling frames.
- To develop and implement an acceptable strategy for digitizing paper-based records.
- To perform probabilistic and deterministic matching to compare official surveillance data with facility-based data.
- To quantify the extent of over and under reporting through assessment of the quality and quantity of notification at the facility, LGA, and sector level.
- To develop an electronic recording and reporting system (e.g. SMS or web-based) for private providers.
- To coordinate the digitizing of data at facility level with stakeholder approval and without disrupting services.
- To develop data collection tools for the study
- To work with TB program staff to simplify the process of reporting cases and outcomes for private and public providers.
- To provide training in use of TB recording and reporting systems
- To produce GIS maps of facilities to assist program staff to reach and engage private and public providers.
- To develop data management SOPs for the study.
- MS in Statistics, Information technology, Informatics, Computer Science or Mathematics.
- Familiarity with capture-recapture methods
- Demonstrated experience in probabilistic (fuzzy) and deterministic matching methods for database de-duplification, merging, and appending
- Basic understanding of statistics, survey methodology, stratification, sampling, weighting, randomization, etc.
- Solid understanding of TB surveillance, including quarterly recording and reporting
- Demonstrated competence in relational database management in software like MS Access, SQL, Epi Data, Link Plus, Red Cap, FoxPro or any other applicable software program
- Demonstrated competence in use of statistical software like STATA, R+,etc.
- Expertise in the management of missing data particularly via multiple imputation.
- Knowledge of GIS and mapping programs.
- Demonstrated Proficiency in written and spoken English and one other Nigerian language.
Application Closing Date
- Ability to work closely with a wide range of stakeholders in a respectful manner.
- Ability to plan realistically in order to adhere to timelines and hit deadlines.
- Willingness to spend 25% of the time in the field during data collection.
- Enjoys challenges
29th February, 2016.
As soon as possible; preferably March 1, 2016
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should send their application (curriculum vitae including proof of prior experience, and letter of interest) to: [email protected]
under subject “Lagos Inventory Study - Senior Information Technology/Data Manager”