Arik Air - Launched in 2006, Arik Air is West Africa largest airline. Positioned at the commercial hub airport of one of the world's leading emerging economies, Arik Air currently serves an ever expanding route network of key cities in Nigeria, Africa, Europe and the US. Arik Air boasts a modern fleet of 28 aircraft.
As part of our overall growing strategy, we are seeking experienced individuals to join and expand our team of passionate and dedicated professionals based in Lagos, Nigeria. In exchange we are offering excellent benefits and career development opportunities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Company Lawyer (Secretary)
Department: MD's Office
Reporting to: Executive Vice President & Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Assistant Manager Legal, Legal Officer, Administrative Coordinator Legal
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- The purpose of this job is principally to provide legal advice and support to all Departments of the Company on a wide variety of corporate, commercial and aviation law related matters.
- The job holder is required to advice the Management in order to safeguard the interest of Arik Air and to ensure that the rules and procedures of the Company are followed in all aspects of it activities, be it in procurement, HR, airline operations or corporate matters.
- The post holder will have an overriding responsibility to ensure that Arik Air does not commit to any unfavorable obligations by providing legal advice and monitoring and controlling legal advice obtained from outside counsel.
- The job holder has to ensure the well-being of Arik Air through compliance with national and international practices and needs to be able to represent and assert the Company’s position and requirements.
- Prepare and draft constitutive instrument of Arik Air and its subsidiaries as well as the internal regulations.
- Organise and prepare agendas, as well as take minutes of board meetings and annual general meetings (AGMs);
- Revise Contracts submitted to Arik Air for signature to ensure that they are legally acceptable and favourable to Arik Air.
- Ensure that the Legal Department appropriately handles registering of Arik Air Offices Overseas, once the approvals are received and look into the Labour Laws, Employment Contracts etc.
- Prepare Contracts, Letter and Legal Documents for submission by Arik Air to other Parties.
- Liaise between Arik Air and outside Lawyers at the Arik Air Corporate Office and outstations on all related legal matters including settlement of claims, litigation to defend legal actions on behalf of Arik Air and performing other legal work.
- Undertake mission for consultation with outside bodes, international Organizations or Governmental Authorities.
- Deal and liaise with other Department on such other legal matters such as: Aviation liabilities and limits of insurance; Conditions of Carriage and their Updating Indemnity provisions to which Arik Air's insurers have to be notified and agreed; Advises on questions of taxation in the various outstations to which Arik Air Operates its services or has established offices.
- Drafting and review of Specialized Airline related contracts such as Aircraft Purchase Agreements, Aircraft Finance Agreements, Aircraft Wet Lease Agreements, Maintenance Contracts, Engineering Contracts.
- A graduate of Law or related field.
- Masters in Law (Desirable)
- Membership of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (preferred).
- Ability to take ownership of the role and work with minimum supervision.
- Must be keen to innovate and be successful at formulating and implementing strategies and plans.
- Previous board-level experience.
- Sound, effective and enthusiastic communicator.
- Previous experience as a company or board secretary would be an advantage
- Previous experience in the aviation industry will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years work experience, preferably in the Aviation Industry of which at least 5 years must have been in heading the Legal Affairs.
- Should have received specialized training in Aviation Law, Airline Contract Law, Aircraft Financing, Conflict of Law, Contract Negotiations, International Law and Legal Drafting.
- Leadership qualities
- Interpersonal communication abilities
- Influence and negotiation capabilities
- Problem solving & quick decision making ability
- Attention to detail and quality
- Multi tasking and long hours of work
- Good knowledge of Nigeria and International laws relating to Aviation.
- Must be service oriented, commercially aware with the aviation industry and related areas.
- Ability to keep confidentiality in respect of all matters handled.
Application Closing Date
- Internal Communications: The Board and Senior Management and all Company Departments
- External Communications: Law Firms, Third Parties, Government and International Bodies, Financial Institutions, Insurance Institutions, Aircraft, Engine and Equipment Manufacturers Airline Regulatory Bodies etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application and CV's to: [email protected]
Click here to apply online