The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Water Sanitation and Hygiene Assistant (Hygiene Promotion)
Contract type: National contract
- The Water Sanitation and Hygiene Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) primary function is to assist the Water Sanitation and Hygiene Officer (Hygiene Promotion) in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of Hygiene Promotion activities being implemented by DRC.
General Programming & Operations:
- Assist in facilitating formation of community structures in hygiene promotion and strengthening of the existing structures such as WASH Committees through trainings sensitization workshops and other hygiene promotion awareness campaigns.
- Assist HP officer in designing, developing and implementing appropriate HP mobilization strategies for DRC’s WASH projects.
- Assist HP officer in developing hygiene promotion workplans for multi-funded projects.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
Coordination and representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to Hygiene Promotion.
- Represent DRC at WASH meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH and Shelter sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings.
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding.
- Assist in developing the projects’ M&E tools.
- Assist in project implementation and reporting.
- Prepare WASH weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- At least 1 year experience in implementation and evaluation of WASH projects.
- Knowledge of WASH Approaches.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil/Water Engineering or Public Health from recognized institution.
Key Stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages; Hausa & Kanuri,
- Which areas of Borno have you worked before?
- Other programme staff
- Logistics & Procurement
- Relevant stakeholders
- Other NGOs
Application Closing Date
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
20th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals only.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants who are invited for written test and oral interview will be contacted.