The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Programme Officer, Healthcare Delivery
Job ref.: ECW/HR/26031916
Bobo Dioulasso / Burkina Faso
Division: Healthcare Delivery
Department: Education, Science and Culture
Directorate: Healthcare Services
Line Supervisor: Director Healthcare Services
Institution: West African Health Organisation (WAHO)
Role and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Director, the appointee shall lead the development and coordination of relevant regional projects and programs aimed at improving healthcare services and accelerating the achievement of universal health coverage by member states.
- He/she shall supervise the implementation of the Maternal and Child Health, Healthcare Standards and Quality, Traditional Medicine and Primary Health Care and Non Communicable Diseases programmes.
- In supervising these programmes, he/she will ensure that the population of the ECOWAS region benefit from integrated healthcare services that are effectively and efficiently managed and delivered.
- Coordinate the development of strategic work-plan;
- Monitor the implementation of strategic work-plan;
- Coordinate the Traditional Medicine, Maternal and Child Health, Health Care Standards and Quality, as well as the Primary Healthcare and Non-Communicable Diseases programmes;
- Support the Member States to promote rational Traditional Medicine practices and programs;
- Document and publicise the gains made in promoting Traditional Medicine in West Africa;
- Champion the development of Essential Primary Health Care Package in Member States;
- Provide technical assistance in the implementation of the essential primary health care package in Member States;
- Supervise the development of healthcare service delivery policies and standards;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of policy changes and plans to meet health service needs in the region;
- Coordinate and manage relationships with partner organizations, Ministries of Health and other relevant stakeholders to ensure sustainable partnerships;
- Supervise the implementation of innovative strategies to improve maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of high impact interventions to address the increasing challenge of non-communicable diseases in West Africa;
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- PO Traditional Medicine
- PO Maternal and Child Health
- PO Healthcare Standards and Quality
- PO Primary Healthcare and Non Communicable Diseases
- JD_ ANG_PPO Healthcare Delivery final ok
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Medicine, Public Health, Health Sciences or any related relevant field from a recognized university;
- 10 years of professional experience in health sector, and 5 years at a supervisory level;
- Ability to manage multi-disciplinary healthcare teams.
- Knowledge of intra, inter-regional and international healthcare systems;
- Knowledge of healthcare delivery, theories, principles and methods in West-Africa;
- Knowledge of policy analysis and development and strategic program planning.
- Age Limit: Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfilment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement; develops and implements internal controls for pilot program to manage potential barriers to implementation;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity, confidentiality and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Knowledge of program management at the level usually acquired from a certification in program management.
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias.
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of international best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Ability to use ECOWAS rules and procedures to appropriately interpret and apply directive text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance.
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to break down very complex situations/information into simple terms to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Accomplished technical writing and editing skills;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Ability to give constructive feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an advantage.
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to use participatory approach in project planning and identify gaps affecting the achievement of program/project expectations and to design and implement intervention plans required to build the desired task;
- Ability to implement rigorous monitoring and evaluation practices and to set in place regular reporting schedules relevant to key outputs;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
UA 53,809.91 USD 84,901.27
Application Closing Date
24th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information