African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Communication & External Relations, PCER
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092337
- The purpose of the Department is to plan, prepare and implement effective institutional communication, media and public relations, and branding activities, designed to enhance the public profile of the Bank and make its various activities and development impact known by various audiences and stakeholders.
- The objectives of the department are to enhance internal communication, and promote the Bank’s role in Africa’s social and economic development, establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution, and play a key role in providing internal and external audiences with a comprehensive understanding of the Bank’s roles, activities, and accomplishments.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the President, the Director of the Communication and External Relations Department will be responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the Department. The Director will be responsible for two Divisions (‘Communication and External Relations’) and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Leading and providing oversight for the communication team and establishing clear reporting lines for the two Division Managers.
- Being a member of the Executive Team, contributing to the Senior Management Coordination Committee.
- Leading the department to ensure a constant review of the Bank’s communication and branding strategies and ensuring that they are effective in promoting the Bank’s policies, programs and interventions as one of the leading financial development institutions in Africa.
- Acting as the Bank’s spokesperson on the instructions of the President and Senior Management.
- Advising the President and Senior Management on public relations, communication, and media issues within and outside the Bank.
- Leading and coordinating Bank-wide communications across the Bank’s organisational units in all offices (HQ and Field Offices), and for specific operational or knowledge projects, by providing general guidelines, and setting clear communication goals and key performance indicators, and ensuring the allocation of necessary human and financial resources to achieve the required objectives.
- Supervising the implementation of the Bank’s communication strategy, especially in key areas of: localised communications; ‘results-based’ communications; support for the Bank as a knowledge institution; and strong and consistent branding.
- Enhancing knowledge communication to key stakeholder, public interest groups, and regional and non-regional member countries (government services, business circles, NGOs, international organizations, the general public, etc.); and planning, preparing and providing timely and relevant information on the Bank’s programmes and achievements.
- Preparing and implementing communication strategies and programmes to mobilize public opinion in support of the economic and social development of Africa, and the Bank’s activities in this area, through the publication of articles and speeches, the organization of exhibitions, visits, debates, seminars, and knowledge events. etc.
- Managing and developing creative and innovative content for web, digital, and social media platforms, including impactful beneficiary and project stories.
- Ensuring the production and distribution of high quality and informative digital and print publications, press reviews, multimedia content and productions, for distribution to the media, key audiences and stakeholders.
- Maintaining good and close working relationships with domestic, regional and global media companies and institutions.
- Preparing and disseminating press releases, as well as organizing and conducting press conferences and seminars that showcase the Bank’s views on major economic, political, social and financial issues and problems in Africa.
- Producing publications and information guidelines on Bank activities for distribution to all staff, in order to improve Bank-wide awareness of Management’s objectives and initiatives.
- Providing advice and assistance for formulating Bank policies and plans on the design, implementation and dissemination of information products and coordinating publishing and distribution services for printed, electronic and digital publications
- Implementing the Bank’s information disclosure policy and ensuring that relevant Bank information is disseminated to various audiences on and through appropriate platforms and channels s audiences through the appropriate channels.
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Communications or any related field.
- Preferably a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant and senior media and communication experience (Four (4) years of which has been in a managerial position) in with either a corporate, non-profit, or multilateral development organization. This may include media and public relations, journalism, digital media, marketing, branding, or related areas, with a demonstrated track record of stability and delivery in previous position(s).
- Vast knowledge of the regional and global media landscape and the ability to work well with media representatives and players.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to implement and monitor mass communication programmes and campaigns.
- Media relations training and experience, with the ability to detect and monitor emerging media trends and the management of critical and strategic Bank-related issues of media and stakeholder interest.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, with a portfolio demonstrating published works and high-level creative, thoughtful and polished printed communications collateral.
- Understanding of and experience with various media software tools.
- Exceptional attention to detail and quality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
12th April, 2020.