United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Intern (Support to ECOWAS Regional Action Plan)
Under the overall supervision of the Project Coordinator and the substantive guidance of UNODC ECOWAS Project Regional the Forensic Expert, the intern will work closely with project team members located in Abuja and Dakar, as well as national and sub-regional counterparts to ensure the effectiveness of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Intern will carry out the following activities:
- Draft, edit, design and facilitate the publication of a West African forensic capacity evaluation directory based on available internally generated and open source materials;
- Coordinate the creation, collection and formatting of training and conference presentation materials;
- Draft official communications, press releases, speeches and articles for project team members and ROSEN management personnel;
- Maintain and update the project internet and social media pages;
- Facilitate the production and dissemination of public information material through website, brochures, posters, letters, e-mails, and broadcasts in various languages as required reaching a wide public audience;
- Facilitate the implementation of official travel missions and associated project activities throughout the region;
- Providing administrative and general organisational assistance; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively in French and in English;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with Research Officer and colleagues to achieve organisational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Required Skills and Experience
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and is able to perceive scenarios from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- A first-level university degree in Communication, Economics, Political Science, or related field;
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree programme in a graduate school (second university degree or higher); or if pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages.
- Candiate should have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree;
- Undergraduates who have not completed at least three years of full-time studies and those graduates with a higher degree who have already completed all of their studies are not eligible to participate in the internship programme.
- No professional work experience required.
- English or French are the working languages of the United Nations;
- For the position advertised full professional fluency in French, with proven drafting and communication skills, is required.
- The ability to speak English with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most conversations on practical, social, and professional topics, is also required.
Application Closing Date
- UNODC internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UNODC accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNODC during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNODC in any official capacity.
- Only those students who will return to their studies upon completion of their internship assignments are eligible.
29th February, 2016
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.