Plan International is an independent child-centred international development organisation committed to advancing the rights of children and fight against poverty. Plan has no religious, political and government affiliation. For over 75 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives. Plan currently works in 70 countries including Nigeria.
Plan International officially started operations in Nigeria in 2014 and works to strengthen and promote the rights of children. Our programme is currently focused on basic education; improve community health services, youth and citizens' participation in governance and creating economic opportunities and livelihoods for the poor, building resilient communities through our emergency and humanitarian response. Plan Nigeria works with communities, civil society organisations, development partner government at all levels and the private sector.
We are recruiting to fill the below position for a Global Affairs Canada funded MCNH project, strengthening Health Outcomes for Women and Children (SHOW) in Sokoto State:
Job Title: Assistant Project Accountant
Report to: Finance Manager
Duration: 4-5 years
Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide support in ensuring that all project financial processes and reports are in line with policies of Plan International, donor and Nigeria, including its laws.
- To contribute to the provision of regular and detailed financial analysis report to inform project management decisions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Prepare payment, journal and receipt vouchers using the corporate accounting software General ledger (GL)
- Ensure that transactions are complete and accurate with self explanatory and understandable description.
- Maintain general ledger (GL) log book.
- Maintain good filing for all vouchers in a limited access area to ensure easy retrieval.
- Maintain a record of vouchers borrowed by staff and ensure that they are returned and filed appropriately.
- Support the monthly GL closure process.
- Print the monthly GL reports for signing.
- Ensure that the GL balances of the advances account agrees with the sub ledger balances.
- Contributes to the monthly financial report.
- Ensure that the documentation for payment is acceptable and accurate with all arithmetic calculations being correct,
- Approved payment request should be processed within one week of receipt.
- Prepare the Withholding tax and VAT schedule where relevant before payment is done.
- Cancel (stamped PAID) all vouchers (payment journal and receipt) and its supporting documents to forestall re-use.
- Ensure all cheques are prepared in a way that ensures accuracy and validation for payments
- Issue cheques as per weekly payment list; exception should he approved by CFM.
- Maintain cash books, including providing updates to Finance manager to prevent a negative cash and bank balance.
- Release cheques to the right payee and ensure the appropriate receipts are issued and filed.
- Prepare and maintain the sub ledger for all advances (travel, purchase etc.).
- Ensure timely liquidation of staff advances and ensure more than one advance should not he given to a staff at a time
- Make available weekly to the Finance manager a list of all un-liquidated advances and support with the follow up of these advances.
- Support project staff in making field payments during activities.
- Prepare the withholding tax deductions report and completing and submitting monthly statutory PAYE forms to required Government Organizations.
- Circulate monthly pay-slip to PU staff
- Support the grant accounting process
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Finance manager
- Fulfil Plans Child Protection Policy at all times to prevent children from all form of child abuses
Application Closing Date
- A first Degree in Financial Accounting and related Financial/Business Administration courses.
- At least 2 years practical work experience in managing financial and administrative system for donor funded projects.
- A minimum of 1 years' experience in grant financial management with donor funded projects in Nigeria.
26th February, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their full CV's and a comprehensive Cover letter, setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: [email protected]
: Only application sent electronically by e-mail with the Job title and location clearly indicated as as the subject mail will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.