1. JOB IDENTIFICATION
Job Title: Shipping, Trading Operations & Chartering Supervisor
Division/Department: Trading Operations and Chartering
2. ORGANISATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS
Directly Reports to: Head, Operations
Indirectly Reports to: Managing Director/CEO COO
Supervises: Shipping Operations Officer
3. JOB SUMMARY
The primary function and responsibility of the Shipping, Trading Operations and Chartering Department is to charter high quality vessels suitable for Oando S&T’s requirements. It is also the responsibility and function of this Department to provide appropriate timely and cost effective shipping and chartering strategy for the company. The position incumbent will manage commercial and operational processes of taking vessels for spot and time-charter transactions.
4. SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Ensures that the executed marine charter transactions provide Oando S&T with the lowest possible freight costs meeting Oando S&T’s operational standards and requirements.
- Ensures the quality of all petroleum products and ensure they are within DPR/SON Standard specifications before they are imported or bought by the company.
- Negotiates chartering transactions
- Co-ordinates with ship brokers and other industry contacts to provide expertise in support of Oando S&T’s business.
- Gathers, evaluates and maintains market information in support of commercial requirements.
- Anticipates market direction and identifies trends. Proactively sharing shipping market intelligence with other departments in the organisation.
- Calculates voyage economics as necessary to evaluate charter opportunities.
- Develops and maintains relationships with industry counterparts including ship owners, charterers, DPR, PPPRA and brokers to facilitate and enhance Oando S&T’s business.
- Keeps all other departments of the organisation informed of significant issues and changes in the tanker market.
- Supervises demurrage claims preparations and collection.
- Performs other assigned duties as delegated by the COO and MD/CEO from time to time.
5. KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Adequacy and cost effectiveness of Shipping and Chartering support provided to all Traders.
- All Petroleum Product imports meet DPR/SON standard specification
- Maximum and effective utilization of all Time Charter vessels.
- Suitability of vessels chartered for each transaction.
- Provision of effective Trading Operations support
6. QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Good University Degree
- 2 -3 years experience within an organization with extensive shipping operations and logistics services.
7. KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Local and International Oil & Gas Industry Dynamics and World Markets
- Chartering and post-fixture operational expertise
- Leadership/Supervisory skills
- Maritime Operations and Regulations
- Maritime and Shipping Logistics
- Basic Finance and Accounting
- Networking and Relationship Management
- Political Savvy
- Time Management
- Oral & Written Communication
- Effective Presentations