International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Project Officer (Non-Food Items (NFI))
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Implement IOM’s NFI distribution projects, in coordination with the emergency coordinator and the Shelter/NFI & CCCM Sector working group, relevant Government counterparts, beneficiary communities and other relevant humanitarian stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of new distribution projects by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning and administration of individual projects, and drafting segments of project proposals.
- Assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff and monitor financial aspects of the Project, including: tracking and supervising the financial expenditure per project code; implementing appropriate internal controls; ensuring an updated inventory of assets, in coordination with relevant departments.
- Ensure proper documentation of all distributions, including that all supportive documents for the projects (assessment, beneficiary registration, payment records, etc.) are recorded in the beneficiary database.
- Contribute to the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children and other vulnerable groups in NFI needs assessment, response, planning and monitoring.
- Provide technical inputs and support to the Shelter/NFI and CCCM sector working group when needed, in coordination with the IOM Emergency coordinator, the Sector coordinators and other relevant sector partners in Nigeria.
- Coordinate project implementation with humanitarian partners (including UN agencies, national and international NGOs, the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, IOM and other international organizations), as well as with national authorities and local structures.
- Provide regular input to the reporting unit for donor updates, donor reports, newsletters, etc. as needed.
- Train and supervise project staff throughout the different phases of the programme cycle.
- Support and monitor the performance of the field office staff assigned to NFI distribution projects.
- Undertake duty travel as required, for project site review and to provide information and support with respect to project management and internal procedures.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Development, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Operational and extensive field experience in programme development, implementation and evaluation
- Experience in post-conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment, project management and administrative and financial management (previous experience with IOM Shelter Programme an advantage)
- Combination of training and experience in field of operations and logistics preferably in natural disaster or post conflict situations
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions
- Preferably within the United Nationals Common System and the International Humanitarian
- Broad demonstrated sector knowledge and/or field experience in the areas of re-construction and community mobilization
- Field experience is a distinct advantage, good knowledge of inter-agency and cluster processes
- Familiarity with the region an asset
- Excellent demonstrated analytical skills applied on a wide range of factors, parameters, policies and priorities for the assessment and resolution of complex situations, including technical understanding.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage.
- Accountability - Takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation - Works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning - Promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication - Listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative - Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation - Develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders
- Performance Management - Identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others
- Planning and Organizing - Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility
- Professionalism - Displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork - Contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation
- Technological Awareness - Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions
- Resource Mobilization - Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Application Closing Date
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
15th February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online